B12 Injections

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI,

For approximately three years I have had my B12 on a ten weekly basis.

My GP's practice informed today I should be on a 12 week cycle. 12 weeks is unacceptable as the chronic exhaustion, palpitations, depression and lack of clarity of thought is debilitating .

Previously, seen three GP's, all quote the NICE guidelines which state 12 weeks.

My question is has anybody overcome this issue and managed to maintain a 10 weekly cycle?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, i had the same problem a couple of years ago. My GP said it had to be a 12 week cycle but fortunately the senior nurse who did my injections agreed with me that 12 weeks was too long to wait between treatments. The GP was adamant that it had to be 12 weeks but I persisted. Finally she wrote o the hospital to ask their advice. They replied that it was not a matter for them as B12 injections were a matter for the GP to sort out! The other GPs in the practice agreed with my GP and said every 12 weeks as advised by NICE. However, I persisted and finally got agreement for injections every 8 weeks and am feeling much better on this regime. The answer seems to be to persist with your GP. Good luck in your efforts to get better treatment.

• Posted

Hi

Many thanks for your response.

I have tried three GP's without success, constantly coming up against their quoting NICE. I am convinced ultimately it is a matter of cash.

Will continue.

• Posted

I agree that it might be a case of the cost, although I understand that they are not that expensive but i believe that the surgery has to bear the cost. I read an article which said that when B12 injections were first introduced by the NHS they were given monthly and then after a few years it was changed to two monthly and then later changed to three monthly which it has been set at for many years now. i met a lady recently who lives down south who was able to have her injections every 4 weeks. it seems to depend on where you live. Good luck with your plea for better treatment. Keep trying.

• Posted

hi,

As far as i am aware new NICE guidelines state injections should be given every 8 weeks. if you join the health unlocked or PA forums you will get more help and information on this.

• Posted

Hi,

Many thanks for your comments and advice, will follow-up.

• Posted

You could try another doctor but if they are all saying that, then i suppose its policy and a safety measure. I am sure there is something you can do to promote good health. What you need to do is go to a health store like Holland and Barrett, and take it from there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.