B12 injections only last 8 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Earlier this year I was diagnosed with b12 deficiency and started having injections, I found the symptoms I have came back after 8 weeks but my doctor refuses to up my dosage. I feel like I'm going mad and that they don't believe me. I have bad memory loss and feel irrational after the 8 weeks and my gi symptoms return. Is there any other way to supplement this? I know I can take tablets but I don't know how good they would be? I need help 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You have classic low B12 symptoms.  I was just like you when I was on quarterly jabs.   Ask for written blood test results to back up your case for more frequent jabs, then put your foot down and get them monthly.  Aim to get above a reading of 500, and you'll be back to your old feisty self in no time!  GP's CAN give you more frequent jabs, you just have to push harder. : )
    • Posted

It's 160 and they keep telling me I'm borderline deficient, thank you I will try and get them to do a written blood test 
    • Posted

hi charlotte.

what might help spur ur GP into action is to take some info. on b12: treatment protocols with u. if u google the latter, it'll take u to Dr Chandy's protocol for b12 deficiency i.e. the appropriate treatment for ur deficiency levels. Dr Chandy is one of the few Doctor experts on the subject in the UK. there is a 'contact' facility on there too if u wanted to check with them. as well as Dr Hooper Dr Chandy advises the PA society.

all good luck.

Caitlin.

• Posted

Hello I have been fighting with my GP to get my jabs at 8 weeks in the end I paid to see a hemotolgist privately who wrote to my GP recommending 8 weekly jabs and guess what I am going to have them so my next one is in January rather than February . It makes my blood boil I had to spend £150 to get this done , I do hope you get listened to soon, I know how you feel I was slipping into crises every 8 weeks and no one would listen  good luck .
  • Posted

I live in the U.S. and my GP regularly does a blood work up and found out I was deficient in B12 even though I take a multi B12 daily (my age might have something to do with it, 63). He started giving me B12 shots. After the third one, he suggest I take a quality B12 (5000mcg) lozenge that melts on your tongue. It is absorbed into your system instead of being lost in the digestive track, which if you have a gi problem, it might be. Your Dr. might want to do a test for celiac, crohn’s disease, or other digestive related problem. My brother has celiac and his Dr. has him take a B12 vit.

In my case, the low B12 was not linked to any digestive disorder. From what I’ve read on the web, B12 comes in 3 different forms. The methylcobalamin B12 lozenge seems to be the best. My B12 went up to a good enough level that my Dr. suggested taking one every other day. But some people may require B12 shots for the rest of their life, B12 lozenge or not Getting enough folic acid is also important.

• Posted

I was diagnosed in December 2014. After the initial 6 jabs I went back to feeling normal. 6 weeks on and I am back where i started, Irrational is a great word, I feel exhausted all the time and feel heady, like most of the time I am not really in my own body, its weird. I have made an appointment to go back to Doctors and I really hope she helps me as this is just the most awful feeling.

I found this group today and so many people feeling the same, it is so common.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.