B12 injections suspended

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone been told Pernicious Anaemia is not a chronic condition?

my wife was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia 4 years ago and has since recieved regular B12 injections. 3 weeks ago she attended for her B12 injection. The nurse advised my wife that she may originally have only needed a boost. In addition she may now have an overdose of B12. Consequently the B12 injection was not given. My wife returns for a blood test shortly to determine her B12 level. And a decision by the surgery as to whether further B12 injections are to be prescribed. My wife's current symptoms include fatigue, light-headiness and dizziness. We are both puzzled on this action by her surgery as we thought pernicious anaemia was a chronic condition. Comments/information will be welcome!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi try and add yourself too the Pernicious Anaemia/B12 Deficiency - Support Group on facebook they have great advice, b12 is water soluble so you pee it out you cant overdoes, plus if you have injections a b12 test will give a false reading , as we all say b12 should be for life
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what 'b12 should be for life" comment means.
  • Posted

Try the  pernicious anaemia society website ( lots of info on this site)they will be able to inform you better but yes the injections should be for life once you have been diagnosed B12 deficient even if you are only given them every three months.  You cannot overdose on B12 as it is water soluble and goes out of the body.  Unfortunately any blood test that your wife now has will probably give a high B 12 result anyway because they're testing isn't very good unless she hasn't had any for at least six months I would say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.