B12 is 247 but doctor says it's fine

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had months of poor memory , poor concentration, brain fog etc and thought it was my thyroid, I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid last year and just guessed I needEd my medication sorted , but thyroid come back fine but had a b12 of 247 and ferritin level of 5.1 , doctor says my ferritin is low and gave me iron tablets but says b12 is fine but are my symptoms because of low ferritin levels ? Tia

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

My doctor told me that some people need a very high level of B12 to feel well while others don't. I think that's where the inconsistency on what is a high reading and what is a low reading comes from. I found the best thing you can do is  keep a diary every day of how you are feeling so when you go to the doctor you can show him/her how every day is. 

• Posted

I have had these issues too.  I told my Doctor that in Japan and many European countries they begin treatment when B12 levels fall below 500 and that I would like my B12 level to be remain above 500.  I have been having B12 injections ever since.  I did the same with my Dads Doctor with the same result.  It can't hurt, it might help and it is a very cheap treatment. ?12p per injection?

• Posted

Hi Tia. I real hope they get you saughted soon. The poor memory loss and concentration, brain fog I do get if I dont get my B12 on time. If I forget its due, remember late so my b12 is late. Then yes I feel like you. So for all having b12 injections make yourselves remember when it is due. Tia keep on to your GP to do reg checks for your b12. Its up to you to keep telling them. I realy do hope you feel better soon. A
  • Posted

As you have underactive thyroid you will also need your B12 levels to be much higher. Most of us don't feel well unless we can get our B12 up to the top of the range. So around a 1000! Definitely above 500 though. If your ferritin is so low too that won't help what B12 you do have to be used properly. Have a look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society website for a full symptom list. I hope your doctor will take this seriously and decide to give you injections for your low B12. If not, there are sublingual lozenges and sprays that many people use to boost their levels. Often there are digestive reasons why we can't absorb it from our food. Are you vegetarian or vegan?  From Marion 

• Posted

Thank you everyone for the feed back , just fed up feeling like this now , have an appointment with a different doctor at my practice next week for a second opinion so hopefully get someone done .
    • Posted

Hi Comfused74. I hope you get some answers to your health problems. All the best A
  • Posted

***UPDATE*** went to doctors today for 2nd opinion on b12 , she assured me my b12 is fine at 247 said if i had a b12 deficiency i would have large red cells and they are normal , she has up'd my thyroid tablet even though my thyroid levels are normal just now x

• Posted

I am not a medically qualified person but have you had your folate level checked?

If this too high it can mask the sign of a possible B12 deficiency as it stops the red blood cells from becoming enlarged.  

Nowadays a wide range of foodstuffs are fortified with folic acid including breakfast cereals and what you can ingest naturally from leafy green vegetables, Asparagus. Broccoli. Citrus Fruits. Beans, Peas and Lentils. Avocado. Okra. Brussels Sprout. etc.  If your diet is high in these that may "bump up" your folate level.

Do you know your folate level?

• Posted

No im not sure of my folate level , might make a call to doctors tomorrow just to ask , thank you .
    • Posted

I would reilterate what Marion said - "As you have underactive thyroid you will also need your B12 levels to be much higher. Most of us don't feel well unless we can get our B12 up to the top of the range."  I pointed out to my Doctor that in Japan and many European countries treatments starts when levels fall below 500.  He agreed straight away to start B12 injections and I have had them ever since.  I did the same with my Dads Doc and he also started him on B12 injections.  It is a very cheap treatment and it could be helping you.  It certainley cannot harm. Be insistent or maybe change Doctors till you find one more helpful.

• Posted

My blood tests about a year ago showed a level of 112, I was treated with 5 x B12 shots at my surgery in the UK - they do not suspect PA but I am on a high dose of Omeprazole and Metformin daily and have malabsorption issues which are ongoing, and I assume this is what is depleting my B12 levels.  6 months after my 5 x B12 shots they re-did my bloods and my B12 level was 198, the hospital that did the blood tests will not treat anyone for deficiency with levels over 180! And even worse I cannot have a repeat blood test for B12 until December this year, I am exhausted and am pretty sure my levels are low again but have to wait until December to actually be tested again.  It varies so much within each county of the UK as the Individual pathology labs have their own rules they set, and even my GP cannot overide their system as they will just reject my blood sample and refuse to test it.  I would imagine seeming it has been 7 months since my level of '198' that my levels will be under the '180' threshold for treatment now but I cannot find this out unless I pay for private blood tests.   It's very difficult to get the correct tests/treatment for low B12 in the UK :-(

• Posted

Have you tried contacting the Pernicious Anaemia Society? They will offer advice and support to those in need of B12 treatment, all reasons for being low, not just PA. You may be asked to join the society to access the help you need, but it will be worth it.

I know how bad I felt at a level of 176 before treatment. It is dangerous to leave it untreated, permanent damage can be caused to nerves. The correct treatment in your case, would have been to continue with the injections at regular intervals. The fact that your levels have regularly fallen shows that you need permanent injections.

• Posted

Thanks Marion, I am due to see my Doctor in 3 weeks as need to start retaking Amitriptyline for my back but it pretty much sedates me to the point of falling asleep whilst eating, so I may mention my extreme tiredness then and the possiblity of B12 levels being too low again.  I took a quick look at the PA website.  The membership looks good, can't afford it for the next couple of months but does look like it will be worth it when I can afford it.  Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.