B12 levels

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone tell me what the low measurements of B12 & the high please? I’m new to all this and trying to gather enough information before my next appointment. Thank you

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Search Pernicious Anemia B12 Deficiency Support Group on Facebook. They will have these answers for you. 

There are Standards that are set but each body is different so what it low for one could be fatal in another. NHS considers anything under 150 as low. Your number is bottom of the range. 

• Posted

Thanks Dena58, I am still waiting for acceptance on the group smile
  • Posted

Hello Hayley

Mine was 98 and I've had 6 boosters then another and folic acid and now waiting on another blood test to see if its improved. What was yours? X

• Posted

Hi Elaine

Oh that’s incredibly low then? Hope your results come back good 👌🏻, mine was 176 which he said was just slightly low, so I got a further testing on Thursday to check it again, also testing for CRP & Celiac too. Xx

• Posted

Hayley i felt So rough! Slightly better but not completely as have other problems also...... i couldnt work for 2 months and now back on reduced hours. Do you feel any better? X
    • Posted

Oh no sad that’s the one thing that worries me that if I’m not treated rightly then it’ll effect me at work too! I haven’t had any tretement of shots as off yet, GP requested another b12 blood test on Thursday, if it’s low he said then I’ll have the injections, I also have other problems so been referred to different people, I feel I need a full body MOT lol! Been looking into paying privately so I’ve got more hours in work to fund for that! X

Hope you feel better real soon!! 

• Posted

I was treated with a level of 176, but I had lots of symptoms. Once you are on treatment any excess B12 is excreted by the body.
    • Posted

Hi Marion,

Yes my symptoms are, extreme tiredness, disturbed sleep, pins & needles in feet when I wake, extreme pain in lower pelvis area, giddy, restless legs, irritability, constantly yawning, fuzzy eyes in day, by night really dry itchy & swollen, headaches in centre off forehead, rapid heart rate, low Bp, forgetting silly things, loss off appetite, can’t maintain a good healthy weight. The list goes on sad unsure if the pelvis pain is related, I’m currently having further testing for that. X

• Posted

Do you have any balance problems too? I was banging into doorways and walls, so my arms and shoulders were always bruised. Burning pains in my arms. Tired to the point of exhaustion even after a night of sleep. I use hypromellose eyedrops for my eyes, and that helps. Is your digestive system messed up too? Forgetfulness and pins and needles are typical for Low B12. The forgetfulness was so bad with me I’d begun to think I was getting dementia! X
    • Posted

No I don’t have balance problems, yes I can be unbelievably tired even thought I have the odd good night sleep too rolleyes. Oh maybe I’ll get them eye drops? I had some off the pharmacist they were just saline though?. My digestive system is! Severe pressure when have bowel movements also bladder too! I’ve been referred to a Urologist as I have repeated blood in urine but no infections, so they are gonna look into that. Haven’t had my appointment through yet, I also have to send a stool sample to doctors Monday too sad . Do you have pain in your pelvis area? My seems constant! I’ve been prescribed co codamol and buscopan untill they investigate further! My forgetful ness isn’t to bad atm, it’s silly little things I’m forgetting but it’s not very frequent, did they give you shots straight away with your B12 level as he told me it’s 176 and said it’s not extremely low? X
    • Posted

Yes my doctor did start the injections straight away. The thing was I kept getting infections, chest, urine, etc...I think when your B12 is low it has an effect on your immune system. Since I’ve been on injections things are so much better. I did have stomach pain, and they kept telling me it was irritable bowel syndrome. It cleared up about six months after I began injections. I still get problems from time to time but only when I’m stressed, and I discovered that stress depletes your B12. 

Have they tested you for coeliac disease, sometimes it’s worth cutting out gluten from your diet to see if that helps? 

• Posted

Maybe If my B12 comes back the same level or even lower then he will put me on the injections then, if not I will deffo keep on at him! Shame I have to wait till Thursday for more bloods then a further week for the results. Yes including in them bloods a celiac and also IF antibodies too. So fingers crossed they will be okay!  Yeah that’s why I have been so confused when researching information as everything is related to B12. It’s crazy lol! X
  • Posted

When you tell anyone avout it they think oh its only a vitamin. If only they knew!
  • Posted

There are also two separate ways of measuring the amount of B12 in your blood - they have different units and will have different ranges - so in order to really understand what is going on you need to know exactly which test was done and what the ranges and units for the result and the normal range were.

For test results within 4 - 6 weeks after a B12 injection the normal range doesn't really apply anymore so can't really be used to assess your B12 status but most medics aren't aware of this

Here is a typical set of ranges and you can see there is a difference between the pmol/L and pg/ml

Below 150pmol/L (200pg/ml). This level is most commonly used to signify vitamin B12 deficiency.

Between 151 and 300pmol/L. This covers a range that might be described as the Total B12 “grey-zone” where the true status of the patient is uncertain. 

Above 301 pmol/L. At this level it would not be expected to find (much) true vitamin B12 deficiency.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had P.A. (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 45 years.

I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.