B12 low

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I have been unwell now for over two years. My symptoms are tired all the time yet can't sleep, lack of concentration and a very poor memory, palpitations, dizzyness when standing from a sitting positiolows he's and paiLowell the time, tingling in my feet, I could go on and on. I went to my gp who tried to give me anti depressants. I am not depressed I am frustrated and feel Like nobody will listen to me. My general bloods where taken and normal except I have raised bilirubin sometimes and was told was gilberts syndrome. After research I asked the gp could they test by b12 levels, they agreed but was doubtful it was this. My level came back at 155. She told me that I such change my diet and eat foods rich n vitamin b12 and go back for repeat bloods in 6 months. I feel like I am being fobbed off and want to feel normal again. I eat a very good diet already! Has anybody got any advice for me? I am 32 year old female

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emzy1980

Typical response from gp I'm afraid. He/She is right about the diet though.

I've had the same problem for many years. You should be offered Vit B12 injections, not pleasant but do work.

I would try a supplement if I were you. I've taken VitB vitamins for 30 years and it's not harmful to do this.

My Grandmother took them also for nearly 60 years and only died a few years ago at 98.

Then you can go back for another blood test and see what your levels are. If they are still bad the gp should try the injection.

Also go back anyway in a month or so if you are still having the symptoms, if you are feeling better leave it for 4/5 months. You can then show you've been proactive about it, always good for brownie points with most doctors.

Good luck, hope this helps. Fanny Jane.

• Posted

Thanks for the response. I have just read my feed back and all the mistakes I must have been tired ha. As for the change of diet I eat everything already that I can regarding the meat and veg. It's soo frustrating, my gp wanted to treat me for depression, I am far from depressed I am exhausted and feel shocking. I am bought some supplements from the chemist straight away but not felt any better for it yet. Want to book back in with my doctor but feel like am making a massive issue out of nothing in her eyes :-(
  • Posted

Hi Emzy,

You Don't say how long you've been taking the supplements but it does take a good month - 6 weeks for them to start making a difference. Even then you have to persevere.

Don't worry about the post, you are tired, fed up and feeling that it's all a bit too much.

I understand how you feel - there's a big difference with being clinically depressed and being fed up and exhausted , especially when you have a definite diagnosis of low B levels. Sometimes I think drs reach for the 'depressed' and 'anti-depressant' labels as it's easier for them rather than look further into a person and offer real practical help and advice.

Could you go back and see another dr at the practice? Or perhaps take someone you trust along for moral support. Just an idea, sometimes a new eye on the problem can make all the difference. Anyway you will not be making a massive issue, you are poorly and he/she is paid an enormous amount of money to treat you.

Hope you get something sorted out soon and feel better. Sorry I can't help more. Fanny Jane.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks so much for the support, I have been trawling the Internet for weeks now to reassure myself I am not going mad.

I have been on the supplements now for 3 weeks so need to persevere a little longer guess, am gong to give to give it a few more weeks and if I am the same I am going to go see another gp at the surgery.

I will keep you posted on updates and fingers crossed someone will listen and start the injections before I do

Loose the plot and need anti depressants lol.

Many thanks

Emma

• Posted

Hi Emma,

Everything takes time in the medical world. Just do your best and then go back and be brave.

Remember there are many people out there in the same position as you. They may not answer your post but will be reading it and nodding, as they really undertand how you feel.

I shall be thinking of you and hoping in a few weeks time to hear things are improving and you are feeling better.

Think positive is my motto. Take care of yourself, Fanny Jane.

• Posted

Hi Emzy1980,

I had the same problems like yours. I used to feel numbness around my upper back and pain in my joints every time I work and just sitting in front of my computer for long hours. Then when I asked my doctor, he said that I should take Vitamin B12 supplement and virgin coconut oil. You know what? Amazingly, the pain stops and I can no longer feel it. Although I also perform a daily exercise routine as part of it.

Emis moderator comment: I have removed the links as we do not link directly to commercial sites. If you want to pass links like this on please use the messaging service.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.