Babies after c.e.s

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has any women have had children after cauda equina surgery?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessica805! I have had CES for 25 years, my husband and I were having fertility problems before my injury, after 2 miscarriages and 10 years we decided to stop trying. After the injury I opted for a colostomy  and before surgery I told my doctor to look at the woman organs and work something out smile.  He bi-sected one of my ovaries and 12 months later Michael was born healthy and happy. And we weren't even trying to get pregnant.  I did have a c-section cause CES women aren't able to push very well. Other than that things went smoothly.  Good luck to you. Keep us up-dated.

• Posted

Thank u! I was thinking the same thing about the C-section. Lol... If u don't mind me asking what made you decide to do the colostomy? I'm completely numb there and I worry.

• Posted

Hi Jessica, sorry that this has taken forever to answer.  I decided for a colostomy cause I could not live a good quality of life always wondering when I will poop next. If I bent a certain way I would poop, etc..The "bowel program" they hype up in recovery is not 100%, I went to dinner with friends one time and it was a disaster, just imagine the worse possible outcome, it happened. I learned to not leave my house.  After one year of that I told my neurologist I wanted a colostomy and on my 30th birthday I received my colostomy.   Best decision.  Good luck!!

• Posted

I'm 37 have herniated discs l5-s1 and cauda equina .. I am pregnant and due in a month in a half .. it's actually so painful .. I've had other children before the cauda equina (just milder disc issues) and was fairly normal. Recently A neurologist said they were surprised I was still holding up w/o surgery yet . I do pt.and chiropractic which only temperarly help then I'm in pain . No one could ever tell me with both cauda equina and the disc issues if I'd improve or be worse with my pregnancy from the begining and i had asked alot of questions all that was said is it could go either way there was no definite answer. In your case I would ask your doctor what effects on your back will happen ,if you do become pregnant since you have had surgery. I can only tell you how the last 2 - 2 1/2months of my pregnancy have been the worse with the discs and cauda equina issues especially in bad weather .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.