Baby Eczema

Posted , 5 users are following.

So our son was born at 32 weeks. He was relatively healthy just delivered by emergency c section due to placenta previa conplications. He spent 3 weeks in the NICU and we took him home. Within a month or so he started having very bad colic symptoms which led us to explore alternative formulas because of a possible milk intolerance. We eventually settled on Nutramagen which took care of the colic. By 3 months he had his first signs of eczema. He had cradle cap and infected cheeks from scratching. The doctors all said it was the worst case theyve seen. They gave him antibiotics and oral steroids to get it under control. Eventually we got to the dermatologist who gave us topical steroids to manage the flare ups. He contracted multiple MRSA infections which spread back and forth in the family. We resorted to bleach baths and hibicleanse to rid of us that horrible stuff. I also stocked up on tea tree oil soap to ward off any future outbreaks which actually did work. Hes had 3 rounds of antibiotics before 1 year old. After these hard lessons we developed routines of 2 baths a day with a tea tree oil castille soap mixture so hes clean but not over washed. Then we apply aquaphor asap to lock in his moisture. Weve stayed away from steroids so long as hes not severe. We rack our brains to figure out any triggers for his flares and are focusing on cutting out dairy and any other allergens we find. Hes very allergic to strawberries too. Benedryl helps for any food allergies that present and atarax for the nights he just cant stop scratching. We have spent hundreds on creams and potions which claim to clear eczema with little success. Im running out of ideas and my girlfriend is wary of any more experimenting to get results. We have yet to try probiotics to help restore gut bacteria which i hope will help especially after rounds of antibiotics. Topically ive given up and just settle for bathing and aquaphor to keep his skin moisturized. All Im focused on now is trying to mitigate any allergens which may cause this runaway inflammation in his body. He just turned 1 year old. His face is pretty clear and the eczema is mainly on the folds of his skin hands and feet with some rashes on his stomach. He always has swollen lymph nodes behind his ears and in the occipital areas which worries me to death but the derm says they are reactionary to the eczema rashes. If anyone has had a similar experience and has pulled through with success I would love to hear about it.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Atopicwill,

When you mentioned MRSA, it immediately struck a chord in my mind. Although my case was not comparable to your childs', I suffered from an aggressive form of eczema for 20 years as an adult, before discovering St. John's Wort (SJW), taking its extract internally @ 600mg/day for 5-6 months, in order to find a cure once and for all (disease-free for over 6 years now).

Asides from being recognized as a natural anti-depressor, SJW contains the super-antibiotic molecule Hyperforin, capable of dealing with highly resistant strains of Staph, that many scientists now believe to be a root-cause of eczema. Trouble is, because SJW is psychoactive, nobody knows for sure if it may be deemed completely safe, when taken internally by a very young child. You might be wiser considering its oil, used topically (pure and from a reputable source), and perhaps spiking it with a minuscule amount of Tea Tree Essential Oil, also known to help combat tough-to-beat Staph infections, as you must have discovered. Do remember that TTEO can also be a skin-irritant, so careful and delicate dilution is very important. Patience is also key.

Have you also tried Calendula Oil or its derived creams? It may also be another safe and soft alternative, especially for very young children. Again, with much patience and determination, as this "MRSA situation" and its consequences are truly a tough cookie to deal with for anyone, and at any age - Sorry!

Hope this helps,

Greg.

• Posted

Thanks Greg I do want to explore options as he gets older to get his symptoms under control. I do some digging on this topic as well. We had high hopes for calendula as well but it didnt do much for his rashes and has a pretty strong smell.

• Posted

Yes, unfortunately it's necessary to do our own research on the topic because there are no common cures offered in conventional medicine at this point in time. I'm glad that you had found and tried Calendula, because it does work for some people and is pretty high up in the list of potential solutions.

Forgot to mention that I have just recently read about a relatively new supplement called Isoquercetin, which also happens to be a flavonoid present in St. John's Wort. If you google up its name along with Prurigo Nodularis (a truly agressive and resistant type of atopic dermatitis), you should fall on a interesting report from dermatologists who have just had an anecdotal success against the disease. Again, you would likely want to find out more about the safety profile of the product for a baby, but this might put you on an interesting track.

Best of luck,

Greg.

• Posted

I have chronic eczema and psoriasis. I also live in a dry climate which can irritate the skin. I use Foderma Eczema Serum regularly and it helps soothe the red, itchy patches. It won't stop a big flare-up, but it will soothe the skin generally so hopefully the flare-ups won't be so bad. A good product that performs as advertised.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.