Back

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just got back today surgery went sort of okay. The Dr. sent out 5 cultures to be tested and as I have feared 4 came back negative one did not. I have a Staph infection and considering my history with a previous infection they want to treat this one aggressively so as I was afraid of I now have a PICC line for the next 6 weeks. There is no guarantees that I will not have further problems my surgeon said I may have to have a spacer put in 6 months from now depending on how things go. I have been thru a lot and I have tried to be in a good mood joking trying to mate other smile but today I broke down I am miserable to the point of tears I just feel lost?? 

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The best way to understand since your a month away you know what a spacer is like very limited weight bearing only real walking w/o crutches is at home inside. Once the spacer comes out the new implant goes in. Now here is the bad news once you have had an infection the odds of having another are almost 50/50 if you never had an infection a 1% chance. If you ever get to where I am at my 5th revision was put in improperly I was tested for infection prior to surgery nothing I was also told by the Dr. 30% of knee infections are not found by testing so the Dr. was right. After the surgery he sent out 5 cultures 4 came back negative one did not. Fingers crossed by the same treatment plan your on I am on the same PICC line 6 weeks Vancomyicin. There are no guarantees this will be the end of it. Not very much fun.
    • Posted

Do you have premixed vials of Vancomyicin that you inject twice a day for 6 weeks?
    • Posted

Yes they get delivered to your home and they give you enough to last a week then they send out some more along with all the supplies ( saline, extensions , heparin, gloves, alcohol swipes and everything else you may need. ) should you have a question you get a number to call and someone will call you back promptly. These have to be in the refrigerator you take the first one out 12 hours before you start and when you start you take another one out. if they are chilled it takes forever for them to drain in your body. Its bad enough that it takes 2 hours anything longer gets really annoying. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.