Back ache L5-S1

Posted , 1 user is following.

L5-S1

Herniated disks compressed nerves (Sciatica)

Back in September 2017, I underwent

Laminectomy and transfemoral decompression. Ever since have had two epidural injection and have made my symptoms worse. By 2:00 pm I am in agonizing pain. Pain both of my butt down my leg that at times unbearable to walk. Next month I am having posterior decompression surgery for  for extraforaminal decompression of L5-L4, L4-L3 and L3-S1 followed by facet fusion unninstrumented.

Have anyone have had this done? And what is the recovery time.

Thank you

Ana

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Did your doctor tell you the risks of back surgery in regards to the results. Back surgery that actually takes away the pain permanently has a very low percentage. And then you have back surgery that takes away the pain but only for a short duration (I.e. a year or two.) Then we get into the surgeries that do absolutely no good one way or the other and then finally the surgeries that make your pain even worse and they're called failed back surgeries. They actually have a name for it that's how frequently it happens. And unfortunately I'm afraid that some neurologist have such a big ego that they don't share with the patient their chances of the surgery actually coming out with a positive outcome. I hope in your case that things do work out for you on the second surgery. It does sound like you have quite a mess of your back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.