Back aching!

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all,

i am 4weeks post surgery following a tibial plateau fracture, unfortunately most of my day consists of sitting and trying to keep myself entertained! Netflix, crochet and eating seems to be helping! My question is, has anyone been experiencing a very aching lower back from all of the sitting? I find that nights and sleeping are particularly worse. 😬 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leanne,

I’ve experienced this since my injury occurred in February of this year, the lying down with the leg raised to reduce swelling, even now as I write my leg is raised and the discomfort in my back although not as bad is still there as an indicator that I’m not yet right. Walking with one crutch, limping due to lack of mobility in my ankle is the main factor to my back ache, sure I do the Physio for my ankle and for my knee,and I do the mobility exercise classes, but the back and the waist they are still not right and until I get walking correctly I don’t believe this discomfort will reduce much, fortunately I continue to seek all the help that I can get and I do put in almost 6 hours per week of rehabilitation which is increasing, so I do encourage you to do as much stretching and as much exercises as you are physically able with your condition. As for the eating, I took control of this into my 6th month of recovery, I had gained over a stone in weight, add to this the lack of mobility so I lost stamina and strength. Get as much help as possible, get your mind on recovery, I hope all goes well with you smile

Bless ya! 

• Posted

Hi Darren, 

thanks for the advise, a long road to recovery so I have read but I’m staying positive and not gonna let it beat me! There isn’t really any getting away from the sitting for me at this stage ! Think I may try the deep heat option, just hoping that it won’t be a long term problem, mostly sitting for 12 weeks can’t be good for anyone’s back or sofa😂

• Posted

Yes leg was very uncomfortable to sleep for a long time then my pins were taken out then it was back to discomfort again, I,m  10 weeks post op with 2 fractures and tendon.  Just able to put weight on my foot st the moment, it is very stiff.
  • Posted

Hi Leanne,

I had my issues with my back aching as well, but found leaning forward in the chair and giving my back a good stretch helped some.

My main source of lessening the tired achy discomfort was to find a massage therapist to come to my home.  She of course had to modify what she would normally do because I was sitting up, but she used a 'quick release' contraption on my back which helped immensely with the built up tension and aching in my back.

Maybe this is something you could try if you are able to find someone willing to do home visits.

Hope things improve very soon for you...good luck smile

Deb

• Posted

My back and knees ached and I found lying on my stomach helped relieve some of the pressure on my back. Fortunately, as I became more mobile my back stopped hurting.

I’m 13 weeks in after surgery for a trimaleor break followed by a week in the hospital for an infection around the hardware. 

Walking with the walker has caused more back pain but I think this will pass as well. I’m just so thankful I can take care of myself! 

Our bodies just are not meant to be sedentary. One thing I will mention and it’s not to scare you, my physical therapist told me sometimes we suffered other injuries during the fall or accident and we don’t really notice until the ankle begins to heal.   

During the last few months I read many books, watched Netflix and binged on Outlander. It’s wasn’t really anything I had ever wanted to watch but was a fun escape. 

I can’t crochet well enough or everyone would get a blanket for Christmas. Lol 

I hope for you a speedy recovery.

Karen 

• Posted

Yes, yes, yes!! It's getting much better now that I can be on my feet again. I had a couple of therapeutic massages, didn't really help, I also tried icing and a heating pad. This gave only temporary relief. Sleeping was also a challenge, I tossed and turned all night trying to get my back comfortable.

Good luck Leanne I know it's a long and tough road. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.