Back again....

Posted , 4 users are following.

After taking Vagifem for 8 months, and even taking it every night for a week before last weeks smear, there is little improvement. It was no better taking it every night either. So I gave up taking it last Tuesday night. I was reasonably OK till today and tonight. Now I am in so much discomfort, both with soreness and feeling like I want to wee all the time too. I've also used GYNEST but that didn't help either. Will I ever be clear of this condition I wonder?! It's not long since I saw Doc and told her the Vagifem wasn't helping but she said keep on using it. But from where I'm sat, if its not going to work after all this time, taking it any longer certainly won't help either. Will have to see Doc soon again I think. I feel rough with it tonight sad

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Shirley, you and I could be twins in some respects. I am so uncomfortable again I am almost in tears. I'm ready to run to the dr to see if I have another uti. But it is probably just the va. This is so hard...you have my total understanding and sympathy. I'm still using the vagifem. I have one more dose. Then I have some estrogen cream to try. I'm still using the vitamin E and coconut oil. Just praying for relief. And strength. There HAS to be a solution. I just know it. And will find it.
    • Posted

Hi Pat, Thank you for your kind message. I was almost crying last night too. I'm scared of UTI's because I have a false hip and can't afford any infection going to it. What is the name of the estrogen cream you are trying? I have now had this problem a year. It's awful isn't it. I have Vit E Capsules too, oh and Hydromol ointment too. And they do help but they don't actually take away the cause of the problem. It's the estrogen that does that isn't it. So far no estrogen has worked for me so I'm going back to Docs again! I will pray with you. There has to be a solution doesn't there. I have looked up the Mona Lisa Laser that Beverley mentions and I don't think we have it in the UK but I will double check.
    • Posted

I am so glad you got my message...I was so upset with myself and my darn phone.  I should have waited to reply online but I was just beside myself at that moment and needed to share.  I have been using Vagifem but I only have 1 application left.  A urologist gave me Estrace to use - which I will try after my final Vagifem app.  I saw a urologist because I thought my problem was all urological - then my obgyn said "No, this is VA" - I can't use both at the same time and the Estrace is stronger than the vagifem and would cause too much discomfort.  I am hoping that it will help without causing too much pain.  I think Estrace is basically the same thing as Premarin (or something like that) - it is just cheaper so the dr gave me that to save me money.  I have not checked into the Mona Lisa Laser thing yet.  I know it is available here but very expensive and not covered by insurance.  I will look into it ... I just need to find the energy to fight back.  Right now I am just plain feeling sorry for myself and I'm tired of fighting.  I'll get past that...I always do.  My body is changing so much and it is so distressing.  Menopause is not what I expected.  No one in my family ever discussed these things.  I so wish I had had some kind of warning.  Maybe I could have done something sooner.  But I have to take it from where I am at.  I hope you find some comfort and relief too....I'll keep posting and I really cherish this site.  And people like you who are so willing to talk and share.  Bless you.
    • Posted

Hi Pat, I tried to reply yesterday but the site wouldnt let me.

I understand your need to share. I often need to share too. I've not heard of Estrace. Maybe I should look into it. I came off Vagifem almost 2 weeks ago. I found it wasnt really helping. Neither was GYNEST. So I will go to the doctors soon.

I can understand you thinking your problem was urological. It makea me wonder sometimes too with the way I feel like I want to wee all the time and then hardly doing anything when I go. Most irritating isn't it.

I can ask my Doc about the Mona Lisa Laser thing but I bet its not an option over here

I went through the menopause quite easily really but nobody ever mentioned that I may end up with VA a few years later. I wish I had had some warning of this VA too. It's been one of the worst things and puts me off going anywhere or doing anything when it's bad. So I hope you (And everyone else with VA) soon finds comfort a relief too. I really didn't expect all this discomfort. Hopefully one day it will be gone. x

• Posted

Shirley I put my response to you in the wrong place 3 sus24 so please go there. Too long to redo...I'm on my darn cell phone. So sorry.
  • Posted

Shirley, have you been following the discussion about the Mona Lisa procedure? Maybe that would help. Don't give up. There are too many women suffering with this. I think  the determination of those afflicted  will be what finds the solution as doctors don't seem to be very tuned into this problem. If you can't find your way back to that discussion (I don't know why "new discussions" keep appearing uf everyone is talking about the same issue) you can google Mona Lisa laser procedure. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Beverly, I Google Mona Lisa procedure and it looks interesting but like I just said to Pat, I don't think it's available here in the UK. Having said that, I will look for it on this site and see what it says there too. You are right. The docs don't seem very tuned in at all and its hellish isn't it. I'm amazed that I had never heard of it till I got it. And im a woman of 58. Thought I would have at least seen it mentioned in magazines etc over the years. But I've not seen or heard anything about it. Will definitely be off to Docs again.
    • Posted

Shirley, I think the Italians (?) have another name for the laser procedure. It comes up in you tube if you google Mona Lisa procedure. Maybe they use the other term in the UK? maybe it's a different type of laser. I have no idea. I still haven't been to the doctor's to discuss any of this as my symptoms are so mild. It was my new doctor who was conerned by my discomfort during my pelvic exam last year (and presumably by what she saw) that prescribed the premarin... which I never used. My mother had a hysterectomy in her 30's, dumped the hormones that were given to her as they made her feel awful and continued to have a sex life long after. My problem may be lack of use since menopause. I'm stymied when it comes to introducing hormones in my mid 60's.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.