Back again, advice needed!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I wrote about having slight aching and brown discharge from a medium sized ovarian cyst on my left ovary when I was 8 weeks pregnant. I'm now just over 10 weeks pregnant and the pain is back, but it's different this time. I thought I was in the clear, but it doesn't seem that way..

I feel moderate stabbing pain when I move or strain, ie coughing or sneezing and I sometimes feel a strong ache just when I'm sat down and not moving.

This started a few days ago and has gotten stronger today and I'm so worried my cyst is causing it, like it might be twisting? Or rupturing? I haven't had any brown discharge or bleeding but I'm getting cramps in my uterus also. 

When the pain comes on I feel quite sick and hot, too. 

I was going to ring my MW tomorrow and see what she suggests as the Early Pregnancy Unit (who I went to before) don't open on a weekend but don't want to sit and worry all day.

Any advice? Should I go to A&E? It's not unbearable but it's a niggling annoyance and a worry. But A&E freaks me out and I don't want to go unless I really absolutely must. 

Thanks. smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Umbrielle,

I wonder whether it might be cystitis or a UTI, and the cramps you are feeling are coming from the bladder not the uterus? UTIs are fairly common in early pregnancy. Have you noticed that you're spending a penny fairly often?!!

I'd certainly speak to midwife in morning but she'd probably tell you to see GP anyway. I wouldn't panic and rush to A&E unless you start bleeding or the pain worsens considerably, but if you need your mind set to rest then do so. Do you have an out of hours GP service rather than using A&E? You can usually see them within an hour or so...allegedly!!

Best of luck, hope it's nothing serious x

• Posted

I'm currently taking Cefradine for a suspected UTI. I went to my GP on Friday and they couldn't do a urine sample to see if I did have a UTI so they just blind treated me and prescribed Cefradine. I've been taking it since yesterday and it has cleared up the burning sensation and stuff but I had no idea it could be the UTI causing cramps! 

It's more to the left side, though, so I assumed it was my cyst playing up again. Hmm. Maybe it'll go away once I've finished this course of medication..

I'll give my MW a call in the morning and see what she says, though, don't think I need to go to A&E but I'll see how it goes for the rest of the day.

Thank you for your reply! smile

• Posted

Hi hun

the pains are likely to be the muscles and tendons in your abdomen stretching and relaxing due to the pregnancy hormones. The sickness and the heat are also down to hormones Nd increase of blood in your system.. It can be unpleasant at times, but my advise is to say if you have any concerns you really need to speak to a health practitioner, whether it be out of hours dr, nhs direct or hospital

take care Hun x

• Posted

That makes sense, too. Especially, I assume, as I'm carrying twins? The stretching would be more intense surely...

But I'm definitely contacting my MW tomorrow as the pain has subsided a little and I'm resting. 

Thanks again for your help! I'm so anxious all the time LOL x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.