back feeling lost more than ever

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im a 20 year old male who drinks daily  been drinking like this for about 3 years. been drinking heavily for about 2 years about 11 units a night if im working if not probably about 23 units i only drink beer not spirits. I posted in the forum a while back and managed to go for 5 days without a drink about a month ago felt awful tho with bad anxiety  and terrible brain fog. Been daily again since then iv been getting worse. Seems all i can think about all day is my first drink when i finish work late evening time. If im not in work i wait too go to the pub at about 4 oclock and be there for about 6 hours usually . I made an appoitment at the doctors a couple of weeks ago and they told me to call a drug and alcohol centre the same day. Which i was too scared too do because of my anxiety. I still dont know what to do if i should ask them for medication or something to help ease of the drink maybe try the tsm method

1 like, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Tom,

    Medication is available to help reduce your drinking and that medication is called Nalmefene.  This is prescribed as per The Sinclair Method but in the UK, the medical profession don't recognise it as that.

    You would need to ask to be assessed for 'nalmefene to help reduce your drinking as you are finding it difficult to reduce on your own'.

    In some areas of the UK, the local NHS authorities feel that GP's can assess, prescribe and monitor a patient.  In others (like yours, it seems) the local NHS is guiding doctors to refer patients to the local alcohol services so that they can do this.  But this is not always the case, and your doctor may be mistaken, so if you are happy to tell us which town/county you live in I can look up your NHS details to see if your doctor should be the one to assess and prescribe you.  Sometimes doctors just refer people because they are not 100% up to date with what they local health authority are instructing.  If this is the case, you won't need to ring your alcohol services and can go back to your own doctor.

    If you prefer not to say where you live, please PM me those details and I can still look it up for you.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi thankyou for replying to me id rather not say to be honest i appreciate the help but im abit worried about giving the info over internet. Sorry aha im way too paranoid and thanks again for your reply . The info about how it varies in differnet regions is very interesting 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    A lot going on for certain and too much drinking. 6 hours in the pub must cost you a fortune as well. It all depends on how much you want to stop? Robin
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I do want to stop or atleast cut down to a reasonable level as i still enjoy drinking socially. but i rely way too heavily on it . i cant seem to have a sensible drink always leads to another and another. drinking everyday i worry about my health and it freaks me out so much
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up