Back from Doctors

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi guys I'm back

Can I get some info from you lovely people out there , what the average FEV rating is im so confused with the results and the doctors don't seem to relay much info

Cheers

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

.Did they tell you what your lung function percentage is?  That's the important thing to know, not what the average is for the general population.
  • Posted

I have no idea jillibean..I am newly Dx ..and still waiting to get info from docs!

• Posted

Hi jillibean there is no 'average' FEV1.   They work out what yours should be depending on your age,  weight etc. and say eg it should be 90% lung function.  Well the FEV1 they give you will be a percentage of that figure.   So if you have lung disease it will be less that the average.  If for example they say your FEV1 is 75% it will be 75% of the 90%.   You will then be diagnosed with the relevant lung disease.  

The most common has to be copd so you would be told you have moderate copd with a lung function of 75% of the normal for your age etc.  If you have over 80% then you would be mild.    Less than 50% and it would be severe. 

I hope this clarifies it a bit for you.    There is a lot of information online about this but stick to recognised sites like the NHS (if you are in the UK)  or here.   x

• Posted

HeyHypercat are you sure???  I ask LOTS of questions and believed my 70% lung function (which I've maintained for 3 years since diagnosis) was pretty good:  if it's 70% of what wd be expected of a late 60's overweight former smoker (more than 40 years) it's nowhere near as good as I thought it was!    Guess I'd better talk to that pulmonary nurse again ASAP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.