Back from Physio

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just back from physio.    Gruelling session as had deep back leg massage.

Lots of fluid which is stopping the leg straightening properly.  Might have to go back to docs for water tabs or more anti inflamatory tabs.   Knee warm but not hot.  Managed 115 heel slide and got another 5 degree with the straightening but only after the deep massage.   Must continue with the exercise bike, doing 3 x 5mins  each day.  Another appointment in 2 weeks.  Meds, exercise, ice then heat.   Plus can ice the back of the knee...which I haven't been doing.  10 weeks post op. No pain, no meds only paracetamol when needed.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

That's my staples out today two weeks gone already.  Physio starts tomorrow torture chamber is what I call it,  I can walk pretty well without a  stick in house  but for safety use one if I'm outside which is only in garden or shirt walk outside,  the nurse was shocked at my bruising and said I must have lost a lot of blood . My whole leg was black, getting better but behind knee is so tender. 
    • Posted

I lost a lot of blood, and needed a blood transfusion, but strangely didn't have a great deal of bruising!  We are all so different . . It was very swollen, and the lower leg absolutely rock hard. . but in the end, it all seems to go back to (amost) normal!.  Staples out wasn't too bad was it????  Hope not!  
    • Posted

Jackie, I was also badly bruised, the nurses on my ward were shocked by it. I'm almost 13 weeks now and when I look back at the pictures I took, it doesn't look like my leg.

My consultant said he was able to get a complete extension and 120 degree bend when I was under....I don't doubt him as one of the bruises was clearly a hand print around my heel.

My wound burst open so I had a second surgery a couple of days later. My haemoglobin levels fell to 7 so they wanted to give me a blood transfusion. I got so upset that the on call doctor took pity on me and prescribed me large doses of iron, which seem to be working.

I was incredibly sore at the back of the leg for approx 4 weeks and still had new bruises appearing at that stage. It may take you the same about of time but it does improve.

• Posted

I had a blood transfusion . . I was at about 7 like you . .and the difference it made was incredible!  Before I was so tired, depressed, out of breath, faint. . and once they gaveme the blood transfusion life seemed to start looking better!  they tried with iron for three days, with no improvement . . thank God it 's all in the past. It was a terrible time wasn't it!!!!mm My surgeon said that about the bend and extension too, as if it was my fault that the day after i couldn't move it!
    • Posted

That's good to hear. My blood count is still being monitored so I will keep your experience in mind if it's mentioned again.

It's amazing isn't it that they don't always see how much easier it is for them to move the leg whilst we're out cold. The bruising they leave behind isn't taken into account when they want us running about on day two.

• Posted

Bruising is often due to the torniquet used as welll as bleeding.  My knees were swollen underneath & quite painful.  The physio used massage as well, but I also massaged very morning & later in the day. This not only helps adhesions but encourages the swelling to go down. I also used the ice packs under my knee, sides & top. I am 9 weeks tomorrow.  Still very early days Jackie, but you will get there.  Continue with the stick when outside for a while longer.
  • Posted

That all sounds really positive Hazel. I know the fluid is an issue but at least it will eventually subside so you will be able to straighten it. Well done.
  • Posted

Just back again from physio, my last session..... got straightening down from 20 to 3 so pleased with that.  Must continue with the massages and exercises.  See consultant next Wed, he will either arrange more physio or else sign me off.

Physio pleased with me...I am pleased with me..biggrin

Will continue to read and reply and encourage everyone to keep up with the exercises, no matter that they hurt, no pain no gain!frown

I told the physio that some days are easier than others and when the leg is easy I try and do more and she said, I bet next day the leg is too stiff.....right...don't overdo it was her other reply.  That can happen to the leg up to 12-18 months after this op.

• Posted

That's brilliant Hazel, well done. I'm very jealous, mine is beyond the help of physio so further surgery is in my immediate future. I can only imagine how chuffed you must be after all your hard work xx
    • Posted

Kathryn it was a huge suprise to me, I did expect a telling off as I didn't tthink my leg was that straight.  I think it was fright that got it straighter at the session.  I will continue with the massage and exercises still got a long way ahead yet.  12 weeks PO.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.