Back Issues?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had ORIF surgery in July. Been weight-bearing for about a month, out of the boot for about two weeks. I had the occasional back pain/spasm before my ankle fracture, but I am now experiencing back spasms almost constantly. Did anyone else experience back issues after their ankle injuries? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your injury effected your gate, which in turn can cause lower back issues.  You should consult with your Dr about an anti inflammatory.  I’ve had four surgeries and I’ve experienced similar symptoms.  They’re usually short term problems. 
  • Posted

I have a bad back and the injury doesn't help....in fact it aggrevates it. Not sure this answers your question. Today my back bothered me more than my foot for sure.  😣

• Posted

Dear Zeldas

I suggest that there is a stong possibility that you have put your back out a d tablets will not help.

Do you know a good chiropractor? The best one will not be a McTimoney qualified one as they have a lower level of training.

Cheers. Richard

• Posted

Robert,

I don't think joint and muscle issues are at all uncommon for recovering ankle patients, especially if they experienced some degree of musculoskeletal (back pain, arthritis, etc.) symptoms before injury.

Those who wore a CAM boot during weight bearing period are more likely to experience these issues (or aggravate them) if they didn't wear an evenup shoe balancer to level heights of CAM foot vs.regular shoe feet.

I did wear the evenup appliance, and yet still my hip joints were very sore for about a month or so in recovery (I had slight arthritis pains there before my injury).

I soon thereafter was free from hip pain after doing recommended hip and leg exercises to get normal range of motion and more strength in those areas.

I'd recommend the same to any patient experiencing pain elsewhere in body on road to recovery. Look into Egoscue back videos on YouTube to see what you can do yourself to get rid of those annoying pains. 

Anyone willing to put in the effort (and yes I know some people are not so interested) can reap big rewards in comfort and ease of movement.

Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.