Back left-side pain when belching or drinking hot liquids - really hernia?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all, I'm 33 and I have a 3 cm hiatus hernia which was discovered by endoscopy. (No idea how it happened, as I'm neither overweight, nor pregnant, nor straining my abdomen.)

Just wondering about something that wasn't specifically mentioned throughout all the pages I read in this group. When I drink hot liquids or when I belch (not on purpose), I have this odd pain flaring in my back, on the left-side, next to my shoulder blade.

Has anyone else with a HH got the same?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi alexis, I have a small HH and GERD as well. diagnosed via endoscopy. I have been burping so much and I have a pain on my left shoulder blade as well that radiates to my arm. i do not the pain when I burp,it just comes and go for no apparent reason. nothing I do seems to help the excessive burping. Is there anything that helps you relieve that symptom? I do not enjoy my days at all as this condition keeps my mind reading my body and the different symptoms and aches I get.😭😭😭

• Posted

Hi alexis, I have a small HH and GERD as well. diagnosed via endoscopy. I have been burping so much and I have a pain on my left shoulder blade as well that radiates to my arm. i do not the pain when I burp,it just comes and go for no apparent reason. nothing I do seems to help the excessive burping. Is there anything that helps you relieve that symptom? I do not enjoy my days at all as this condition keeps my mind reading my body and the different symptoms and aches I get.😭😭😭

• Posted

I'm afraid nothing relieves it, although I sometimes don't have pain at all when doing the same things. It's so random... I sympathise with you. Life doesn't feel the same anymore, but we have to keep going! Distractions are always a good way to escape.

• Posted

Really sorry to hear you guys are having symptoms. Hope you guys all get better soon!

I'm wondering what specific Endoscopy revealed your HH diagnosis?

Also, are you guys on the skinny side (body/bone structure) or normal weight?

I'm having tightness around my xiphoid process area when I exercise, so I'm wondering what it could've been.

Prayers up!

• Posted

Hi, it was a gastroscopy as I was complaining about stomach pain and weight loss at the time, and I harassed my GP for a referral. Nothing else than the HH was found. My weight is normal but more on the slim (not skinny) side.

• Posted

Thanks for your response Alexis.

What's the difference btw Gastroscopy vs Endoscopy? Do you guys recommend Upper or Lower scope?

I am having significant weight loss and often have twitching around the upper abdomen? I can feel heart bumping around the upper abdomen area.

How does food help or harm your symptom? Does it hurt more when you do stretching exercise?

• Posted

Not sure what's the difference. Doesn't lower scope mean the back end?

I have the same issue with the stomach palpitations too.

Food makes me feeling full very soon, and at the moment it makes me nauseous... Tough!

• Posted

Hey guys/gals,

I'm wondering how does your HH make your upper stomach feel? Are you guys able to stretch, twist/turn, lie flat on the bed without any pain?

How does HH impact Xiphoid Process. I feel a lump when I lie flat but hidden when I stand up. Would Upper Endoscope reveal HH for sure?

Do you guys recommend a scan or a scope? Would HH show up in both? For scan, what kind of scan is better? X-Ray, CT, or MRI? I would like to check on structure of my Xiphoid Process, but need some guidance.

Thanks!

-Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.