Back locks up - potential causes

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey,

rather infrequently (every few months perhaps), my lower back locks up. It's not really painful - but I will have to sit down, or rather lay down because sitting alone doesn't do much good. It passes after a few moments, typically, and then I feel alright again. It tends to happen:

• after some physical efforts, like a long/hard run or something (>1 hours and with some intensity)
  • when changing position. the other day I got up from the toilet

So typically, I lay down for a few moments, then I get up again and feel fine. When I feel locked up, again it's not really painful, maybe more like a discomfort, but I feel like I cannot bend or use my back muscles. I'm mid 30s, pretty fit in general and I don't really have back problems history.

Any ideas what I should do? I don't necessarily do a whole lot of back stretches or anything, althought I am pretty active in general and reasonably fit/flexible...

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.