Back & muscle pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm a 36 year old female , I have 4 children , on my last pregnancy I developed symphysis pubis dysfunction & sciatic I had an awful pregnancy I ended up on crutches , the birth was very tramitic , my son is now 7 months old & since this I've been in awful pain , if I carry him my back locks up ,it's so painful to bath him change the beds Hoover etc , it's gotten so bad I can't sleep properly , I go to be fall asleep for an hour or two then wake up in agony my body hurts all over but especially my back & hips , if I turn I'm in agony , it feels like I've been kicked all night , I'm exhausted I twist & turn all night in agony but when I get up after about an hour I'm not too bad I just feel very weak in my muscles & back , I went to my gp but they said there is nothing really they can do only give me difine & paracomtol plus they gave me Mirtazapine which is an anti depressant I'm very weary of taking this as in so afraid of gaining lots of weight which would not help my back , I am attending an orthopaedic surgeon as I have also got neck trouble I was in a car accident as a child they did an MRI which said I have 2 worn down discs & a cyst on my spine but this was only for my neck they said when I go back in Feb they will do a lower back X-ray .

Can anyone tell me if they have simular symptoms & have they gotten any relief ? 

Thank you 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You are the only other person I have ever heard of who has had a segregated symphysis.  It's agony, isn't it?  I really feel for you.

I had mine one month before my son was born (that was 45 years ago)!!

Unfortunately there really is no treatment for it.  It just has to heal on it's own.  It took me five years (sorry to be so negative), for the pain and discomfort to disappear, and grinning and bearing it was difficult, especially looking after two children.  Eventually the hips sorted themselves out, but, oh dear, what a long time.

Do look after yourself as much as possible.  Not easy I know when you have small children.  Rest whenever you get the chance.  Never walk too far at a time (my hips just locked if I did and I couldn't move an inch).

I hope your partner is sympathetic.  You will need all the help you can get.

I am 76 now and, guess what, I have hip problems.  Just telling you this because it is so important you look after yourself.  Exercise gently, and often.  Swimming helped me enormously.

All the very best for the future.

Constance.  💐💐 - a few flowers to cheer you up!

• Posted

Thanks Constance.de for ur reply , 

can u explain what a segregated symphysis is ? Please ....

wow 45 years ago I hope u are in good health now apart from your hips , 

pits so hard being in pain all the time especially with small children , I've started back walking I hope to build it up slowly I hope I improve soon pain is awful & I really feel for anyone in pain ..

take care !!!!!

• Posted

Hallo thriona.  It's exactly what it says - segregated.  The cartilage between the pelvic bones slips and parts.  Only you will understand that pain.  The problem is, being such an important joint is takes ages for the cartilage to regenerate (or whatever it does!) - after all you must use your legs every day.

It's a very rare thing that happens before/slightly after the birth of a child.

Keep happy, and keep moving.

Constance

• Posted

Hi - I broke my spine when 19 then had symphis pubic dysfunction at 25 when I had my first baby.  After the birth I managed to get back to dancing, swimming and gymnastics but always found abductīon of left leg difficult.

my 2nd pregnancy was fab - no issues with pelvis or back but back was problematic within first 6mths of birth (I had c-sections).

my third pregnancy was years later at the age of 35 and I ended up on crutches with SPD and wore a support belt for months.

it disappeared shortly after birth but my back pain remained and in the last. 12mths alone I have had severe flare ups of low back pain with buttock and leg aches and muscle fatigue.

when I am able Pilates is really useful at realigning your pelvis and spine but at the moment I can't even get my socks on! 

Good luck. Try Pilates 

• Posted

Have you tried a Tens/Ems Machine (very mild electric pulses) or a Vibration Plate (heavy stuff, even on programme 1).  I have both, they do help, but not for everyone.

I find swimming/moving in warm water the best cure of all - even a really warm bath helps.

I'm considerably older than you and Thriona, but movement is the only way we can help ourselves.

I wish you a happy, pain free (hopefully), 2016.  🍸🎉💐

All the best from Constance. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Constance. I have 2 tens machine - a wired one which is very powerful and has been on my back all the time since Boxing Day. I bought a wireless one yesterday which was ideal for wearing under my Hogmanay outfit with no white wires to show or get tangled in!

At the moment I can't get in or out of the bed myself so swimming isn't an option but hot baths and heat pads are doing a good job.

I actually run NHS workshops for people with chronic pain so I know all the theory- it's just putting it into practice when pain is at it's peak.

All the best x

• Posted

Great, someone in the profesion who REALLY understands their patients.💐
    • Posted

Meant to add:  I'm actually on the PMR forum and sooooo many doctors, Rheumatologists, don't really understand the pain and discomfort we go through.  Many have to wait months, even years, for the correct diagnosis.

I was one of the very lucky ones, however - diagnosed on first mentioning the pain - was on Prednisolone within 2 days, pain free within a few hours.  Didn't realize that was the beginning of a very long journey (four years up till now)!  

Keep putting the theory into practice - you know it makes sense.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.