Back on Campral

Posted , 9 users are following.

Since Christmas I've noticed that the amount of alcohol I've been consuming has increased.

Ive not been drinking alone or in secret. However the number of social occasions I've been to has increased greatly.  Special birthdays, weddings, wedding anniversaries, christenings etc keep coming up.

My husband will be retiring in a few weeks, so there will be more celebrations, weekends away, trips abroad, all occasions where I would drink.  

Although he will be retiring from local government, we're both considering him doing some consultancy work abroad on as little or as much as he wants basis.

I've spoken before about the problems I had with him working away. However now the kids are grown up, i would go with him,

This would involve so many situations where alcohol is free and easy, particularly where wifes/parteners are involved. 'The ladies that lunch' brigade, although not my cup of tea!, all drink like fishes morning till night. I have no intention of getting back to where I was before, but I know myself and admit I would probably throw myself right into the fun and party lifestyle, merely to pass time and avoid boredom.

So with all that's going on in my life at the moment and months ahead, I've decided to go back to taking campral again. My gp (also a family friend) fully agrees with me and was happy prescribing it. Thank goodness he didn't fob me off with ARCs again. He said it was a waste of time.

My only worry is that alcohol still, to a certain degree, controls my life, which makes me feel weak. Trying to feel positive that ive acted now, rather than later.

Started campral again today and know that not drinking won't be hard.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well Vicks I think your decision to take Campral again is admirable .It could be so easy not to be so self aware and just party on.You know whats best for you and you are doing that rather than bury your head in the sand , we all know how fast it can escalate out of control and that would be just awful when you have come so far.

Well done you a great decision xx

• Posted

SOUNDS like a great plan Vickylou. Best of luck since temptation is everywhere.....sounds like you are doing great! Robin
    • Posted

Thanks robin. Felt a bit downhearted yesterday , but better today. Just felt like I'd gone backwards a bit. I've not been binging or drinking secretly, but noticed how the amount was creeping up.

• Posted

To realize that and be willing to step in and make the needed changes, that's gold, Vickylou!

• Posted

Well that ride could have gone pear shaped vicks - soo easily.  I hate this fact - will it never end ?

I still have a bottle of wine on Saturday and Sunday and sleep like a baby and love it.  I would normally have a glass at 5pm whilst making dinner, but this Sunday I started lunch at 2pm and had a glass whilst making it.  My other half asked if I had had a glass because I smelt of wine!  I said yes as was enjoying the radio on and pottering in the kitchen - he was not happy and said so.  Said too early. 

I did finish my bottle after a couple of hours, but did not enjoy it.

Just made me think - "you loser why can you not just not have it at all."

This is a hard walk we have and talking it and walking it are so difficult. 

You have got some difficult, albeit exciting, times ahead.  You should go for it  - Campral is obviously your saviour; so far, willpower is mine, but I wonder for how long mine will keep going.  I have to, or I know the consequences.

Thank you for being, as always, so honest.

G.

• Posted

Your honesty and fast reaction will save you....In the old days it would have been excessive drinking and running away from the truth and also feeling guilty..you are beyond that now. Robin
    • Posted

Aww Robin thanks for those lovely words which mean such a lot.
    • Posted

It was a risk I was not prepared to take. The memories are still with me and I've no intention of going back there.

I love having a couple of glasses of prosecco whilst cooking and like you, pottering in the kitchen. Ah well, that's out for a few months now.

• Posted

Gwen your willpower amazes me, well done you. I know, like me, you have difficulty sleeping, and can fully relate to your Saturday and Sunday bottles.

Hubby just back from the lads (sorry old men) night out, gone straight to bed and now snoring away blissfully! Unless you've suffered with insomnia, I don't think people realise just how debilitating it is.

I woke at 3am yesterday. Wide awake, ended up watching the 3 part true story  3 Girls on my iPad. It was really good, but also very sad about Child Sexual Exploitation in Rochdale.

Dont know what to watch now 

• Posted

We just watched "First Dates" on Channel 4 and the whistleblower or very BRAVE woman who tried to convince everybody for 10 years in Rochdale that there were problems was looking for a partner! What a brave and lovely person she is!...Robin

• Posted

Yep robin seen that too. A very brave person indeed. Dreadful what went on there and how long it took to get people to admit that there was a problem
    • Posted

Hi ADE

sorry, I seemed to have missed you out in saying thank you for your words of encouragement . Well done you, you've found something that is obviously helping you enormously. Yet another AUD sufferer helped by medication. Don't know about your doctors across the pond, but I certainly wish the medical profession here made themselves aware, or even showed some interest in what drugs are available to help us. Instead they just send us to ARCs which is a complete waste of time

• Posted

Yes vicks the dreaded insomnia.  I have stuck with my limit all week and today I look and feel like a walking Zombie flesheater - I am soo tired and finding it hard to remain chipper!  I have just prepped up dinner for later but did not dare have a sneaky glass.  I would really love to keep to the 2 small glasses tonight and tomorrow also but I feel the pull of a good sleep will win over.  I was awake as usual last night and heard every chime of the clock on the hour.  Like yours my hubs also went out on a lads night (ha ha ha - slip of the tongue) and he was up and down to the loo then straight back in the sack and SNORING SO BAD I could have stuffed one of his socks in his mouth.  The only thing keeping me sane today is that for some reason he decided to have a few pints of cider (normally beer) and today he is running to the loo ALOT.  It is making me split my sides laughing, one minute he was washing the car the next he looked like Road Runner in the cartoon, zooming up the drive, smoke at his heels, to the house.  When he said "your finding this funny aren't you?" I said yep -  you aint half releasing endorphins for me lol lol.

Good to laugh - see you through life cheesygrin.

• Posted

Hiya gwen

just got back home from a meal in town with friends. Felt strange at first not drinking, but didn't really bother me.

What bothers me more is lying in bed, wide awake and thinking if I'd had a few glasses of wine I'd be fast off in bed.

I love cider, favourite being Old Rosie or any strong cider. However It can give you the runs, as your oh found out lol! You sound so sympathetic!,

I am absolutely knackered and it would be great to get a few hours sleep. I know what you mean about the zombie feeling. I've reached the stage now where concealer no longer hides the darkness round my eyes. Borrowed my daughters eye make up remover, told her it was useless as it didn't remove eye shadow, was mortified when she said "mum, that's not eye shadow, it's your dark circles!!" cheers daughter dear!

• Posted

Sympathetic - meeeee - not when it is making me laugh soooo much lol.

I had my bottle last night and did not hear one chime of the clock - bliss bliss - bloomin bliss.  The difference today is huge, I am as they say, back in the room.  Feel this for you, the nights drag on and on don't they.  I hate the woolly feeling and woozy head i get. 

Have you tried anything topical for your circles.  I have a serum for bags and wrinkles which tightens everything up in seconds and lasts all day and I am sure I have seen something for circles.  How on earth do you cope 7 days a week, I am a mess on 5 days, the extra 2 would see me off.  You must be made of strong stuff Mrs.

When my daughter was still around, she would speak exactly the same way - far too honest lol.

• Posted

Before I started back again on campral, OH and I would share (well, I'd have 3/4 of the bottle) a couple of bottles of wine, OH likes his 'real' beer, so like you, I'd get some sleep.

My body clock is all over the place. I'll fall asleep watching telly or DVDs, even though it's something I particularly want to watch. Then go to bed and be wide awake.

Ive spent an absolute fortune on creams and concealers and as my daughter so nicely put it "it's a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!!" Or "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"!!!

• Posted

You're quite welcome, Vickylou. I completely concur with you about the doctors, far too many on our side of the pond as well don't even know about Naltrexone, let alone any of the other meds for AUD or The Sinclair Method. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.