Back on Fluoxetine after 1.5 years - need encouragement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I started on Flu-20MG back in 2007 and was on it for a while and it really really helped me. I felt so much better that at one point my doctor and I decided I was ok to Wean. I stopped in 2019.

Even until a few weeks ago I was feeling ok. But this past year, with the Pandemic, a full time job, kids full time at home, everything seemed to become heavy on me. Even then, I was doing OK, I was getting through, only PMS time became hard.

The last straw was that two weeks ago I got very sick, and got Covid. Grateful to say that the Covid has left me and I am recovered but it has put me back into a VERY anxious state.

Spoke to my doctor and I am now back on 20 mg of Flu and it's day 2. The last time I was on this community, it was a huge help to me. I even find my old posts where I provide so much encouragement to others, but here I am again seeking some comfort. Please tell me this second time the meds will work. I don't plan to stop them if they do because life is full of curve balls and I am ok admitting that I need help to deal with them.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am in the same boat as you. I took prozac for 1 year. then i lowered the dose to 20MG and took every other day (for 2 months). then I was hit by COVID as well. I recovered from COVID however depression/ocd came back with vengeance. I am on 50MG prozac now and now its week 3. I have no seen any major difference yet, but i am in the same boat as you.

• Posted

hi Adil. Yes the Covid did the same thing to me. I hope we both see some recovery soon. I am generally very low and feel flat most of the day especially mornings. It's been tough. But I know Flu worked once and it should again. Just a wait and see game. This time I will be very very careful to wean, if I wean at all. Seems like I have situational anxiety and I just need to stick to it, to not have relapses.

• Posted

I made this mistake twice, to stop taking my med and paid HEAVY price both times. if it works this time I dont think I will ever stop it. I dont know about you but relapses are WORSE then original anxiety. whenever you stop 1st 2 months are breeze and then it HITS you hard. so please be VERY VERY careful whenever you decide to stop it again. for some of us its needed.

I am scared to actually wake up in morning, Worst time of the day, and I find night time to be more peaceful.

My Doctor did said Covid also played an important role with my Anxiety, however more research is needed.

I hope we both recover from this.

• Posted

Hello

adil12426

I feel I'm in the same boat. I stopped years of use of Lexapro then the severest withdrawal hit me....I had to pay a heavy price....I'm much better now but I'm still suffering .I've been on Prozac for 13 months now.

Yes morning is so terrifying....

• Posted

13 months is a long time. you sure you want to keep using it? maybe switch back to lexapro.

• Posted

Yes Adil. Definitely will re-think coming off this time. I hope you are doing a little bit better. I am taking it a day at a time. Today is two weeks since I started. I know it's going to take a while to kick in so just being patient and trying to get through one day at a time, sometimes just one hour at a time. Hope you're well.

• Posted

yes, it will take some time. my ocd and anxiety is bit less, but i am still struggling everyday.

• Posted

I'm curious to know how it's going? I recently got back on my Prozac. I'm going on 6 weeks and I see a slight improvement but nothing like before. I don't recall it taking this long. My anxiety is still high and I have insomnia which I also take Mirtazapine for 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.