Back on gluten and feeling worse than ever

Posted , 5 users are following.

For a couple of months I experimented with a gluten free diet and felt so much better. A lot of my "complaints" either went away or massively deminished. cheesygrin

I informed my GP and they told me, as I already knew, that I'd have to go back on gluten for 6 weeks before they could organise tests.

Now around 3 weeks into having gluten every day and feel constantly terrible. All my old symptoms have come back but seem to be far worse than before.

is this normal when gluten reintroduced into a diet - or have I got a bug of some kind ?

Cheers.

Paul H

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Compo, I think you will just have to wait for the tests to answer your question. None of us are qualified to diagnose, especially on a forum. It's good to chat and exchange ideas etc though! Keep posting and let us know how you get on. rolleyes
  • Posted

I have heard from people that going back on a gluten diet for that exact same reason (the gluten intolerance test) gave them worse symptoms than they did before prior to going gluten free. Your body must've gotten used to not being irritated by the suspect and now that it's back, it's fresh and new and not used to it as much. That's just my theory, but it fits (in my opinion). I hope your results are worth the pain you're going through and I hope you all the best of luck for the future smile
  • Posted

Hi Paul.

I was on a gluten free diet a few years ago and felt great. Lots of energy and very little stomach complaints. I then reintroduced gluten as I was getting too restrictive with my diet. I ate gluten for a couple years and had horrible brain fog, fatigue, joint pain, depression, IBS. .. I've recently cut out gluten again and feel back to normal. I can't figure out if going gluten free initially has caused me to be intolerant when eating it again, or if i always had some sort of i tolerance. I've been tested for celiac twice and both times results have been negative. However I will continue eating gluten free because it makes me feel better. I hope you get better results than I did and find a way of eating that suits you and your health needs!

• Posted

Please keep going, Paul! You're more than half-way there...

I eat little gluten now that my son has Coeliac diagnosis. When I got around to getting tested myself, I had to put it back in my diet and it was rough going! I would not have been surprised if I had CD, too, but blood/scope/biopsies all came back normal. I have IBS & I can't say going GF helped me...but I'm not keen on eating it every day any more, either. I understand what your body is going through right now. 

This is why I urge people NOT to go GF! Only if/after they've exhausted testing for a diagnosis that sounds right to them... It's much harder to re-introduce than to keep eating it in the first place. (Why is that?!)  I've heard this from others, too.

Hang in there! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.