Back on mirtazipine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, 2 days ago I went back on mirtazipine after going cold turkey for 6 days....anyway I have derealization and depersonalization and during the withdrawal it's made it so much worse! I'm in a constant state of panic I feel so disconnected from my body since withdrawal from mirtazapine....will I eventually get back to normal....the way I feel I would happily end it all if I didn't have a son 😢 this ain't no life living in fear everyday, feeling disconnected from everything!!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Mirt should NEVER be withdrawn cold turkey -- you're gonna be swamped with withdrawal side effects and now that you have gone back on it you are probably feeling the starting effects mixed with the withdraw effects.  Give it a week and see how you are feeling then. You should get back to normal with 10 days or so. 

I'm on a maintenance does of 7.5 for sleep and it's effects even after 30 years.  I tried to quit it because I didn't think it was working after all that time.  I think I had every withdrawal side effects and then some.  Never got lower than 7.5. 

Give it a fair trial for 10 more days and if you still feel the same way, call doc.

• Posted

I thot that Mirt was no longer working so I started the withdrawal process very slowly.

I alternated 30 mgs with 15.  one night 30, next two nights 15.  I did that for a month

next on 15 alone for a month

next alternated 15 with 7.5 for a month

next on 7.5 for 3 weeks and unfortunately, all the symptoms for which I went on the med, came roaring back so I upped the dose back to 15 (which helps me sleep) and I'm staying there.

I have some side effects but none that I could not handle

• Posted

Your first days on 15mg did you feel drowsy? Am now on 15mg since tapering from June, 5 days now I feel drowsy
    • Posted

yes, drowsy.

15 mgs is usually prescribed as an aid to help with sleep, so feeling drowsy tells you that it is working -- doing the job.  That's the reason why you should take it at bedtime and not during the day. 

Do you plan to get off the med and if so why?

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

So sorry you are feeling this bad. Generally speaking it is never a good idea to quit any anti-depressant cold turkey. Your central nervous system has had continued assistance with the meds which it becomes very accustomed to, just suddenly stopping this process throws your body into turmoil.

Remember you are not alone with this illness. To truly accept our depression/anxiety puts us on the initial path to recovery. Take some time and be kind to yourself. Rest. Think about your son and all the other good things in your life. I know this illness makes us think negatively and everything seems hopeless but allow yourself time to recognise once more the simple things in life that you used to enjoy and will enjoy again. Knowledge of our illness gives us the ability to overcome it. If you haven't done so already read some well known publications such as Self Help For Your Nerves by Dr Claire Weeks, How To Rewire Your Anxious Brain by Catherine Pittman and Dare by Barry McDonagh. Meditation also is a fantastic way to calm our minds. Discuss with your doctor on a new continued dosage to help you with your recovery. Counselling and psychotherapy really helped me when I was at my worse so give this some thought.

Remember, your anxiety is not your enemy - don't fight it. It's just an overprotective friend that needs to be retrained.

I wish you well and good luck!

• Posted

You have to give your body time to withdraw -once off it I would stay off it. Things will get better if you do some exercise daily, and focus on relaxation, chamomile tea with honey, etc.. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.