Back on Orlistat again 3rd time lucky!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive been taking Orlistat for a week now and good news Ive lost 5lbs which is great. 

This is my third round on the pills and did lose around 3 stone both times previously. Im back to square one again now as I damaged my back a few months ago and wasn't able to do any excercise and the pounds went back on.

I have a Underactive Thyroid which also makes it difficult to lose weight (and easy to put it on) and Ive found that the weight loss when on Orlistat does seem to be slower than other peoples who have a normal thryoid function.

I am sticking to the 15g fat rule and having no more than 1600 calories in a day.

Last time the weight loss slowed down dramatically on month two and I became very bloated but fingers crossed that won't happen this time.

I currently weigh 14st 6lb and Im 5ft 9 so roughly arond 3-4 stone overweight. My goal at the moment is to get to 12st 7lb then if I reach that then set a new goal.

I do struggle with eating a variety of meals and find Im eating the same foods each week.

If anyone has a food blog I would appreciate having a look to get some new ideas.

I eat quorn instead of meat normally if I do eat meat its only chicken. I do eat lots of fruit and homemade smoothies and juices. I have cereal or porridge for breakfast. I love pasta and bread but try and stay off the bread as much as possible while Im on the pills.

Ive not had any misshaps in my first week in the toilet department so fingers crossed Im doing the right thing.

I do believe this is my final chance on the pills so Im determined to lose the weight again. Any suggestions from other fellow Orlistat users would be very much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone. eek

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi claire

I am going back to see my gp about going back on orlistat , i really struggled with the tablets 1st time round but really need to give my head a wobble and kick my own butt ,

I have recently purchased from ebay 'the alli diet plan ' book which is the same tablets as orlistat just a lower dose that you can buy from the chemists, i purchased it from ebay and it was only a few pounds , it is full of recipes to add weightloss

So maybes if you buy one it might give you extra help when thinking of other foods and recipes 😊

• Posted

Hi nicola thanks for your reply.

I do already own that book I bought it the last time I was on the pills. To be honest I don't really like the majority of the recipes in there although it gives you a four day plan so gives you an idea of what sort of things to eat.

I have been very strict this last few days but I am not going to weigh myself for another week so time will tell if Ive lost anymore weight.

I was actually surprised that my GP agreed to put me back on the pills as I have already been on them twice before however I explained that I was worried as I have lots of family health issues which could affect me in later life if I don't lose the weight ie heart disease, diabetes etc so she agreed that I could give it another go. I have lost around 3 stones each time but then like most regained the weight again after I came off the pills, so I also need to kick my own butt to change my overall lifestyle and way of eating so that I can keep the weight off this time. 

I have noticed that I don't feel hungry at all for the last three days which is unusual for me as I always feel hungry and Im hoping that feeling lasts so I don't want to snack. I have only had around 1200 to 1300 calories in these days and feeling satisfied after meals.

Good luck with getting your prescription.

• Posted

I have only been on them once , but didnt finish the course as i started going to slimming world whilst on them and i ended up gaining weight, i hope my gp gives them to me again , as i to have other health problems that would benefit from me losing weight
  • Posted

Hi Claire this is my second time on them but I been to scared to weigh myself I have a rough idea what I was before but because I went to the doctors before Christmas & promised to start them on January the 4th I now don't know how much I have lost but my clothes are much looser. I lost 5 stone before but became to slack with my diet & put it back on again. Food wise I have found those roasting bags are brilliant I put chicken in them along with veg onions & a couple of new potatoes & bung it all in the oven together with no added fat or oil it' all cooks in its own juices. For lunch I have been having cous cous as its so easy to make & you can get different flavours. I have booked a holiday so hoping to not be a bleached whale on the beach. Anyway good luck
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine thanks for your reply.

I weighed myself daily the last time I was on the pills but I decided to only weigh myself once a week this time as its disheartening when the weight fluctuates from day to day.

I lost 5 lbs last week (my 1st week back on the pills) and Im hoping for at least a 3lb loss this week. Ive been very strict and stuck to the 15g fat rule and Im not feeling hungry this time.

I put the weight back on both times as you do soon slack off when the pills have gone however Im determined this is my last chance to change for good and keep it off long term (fingers crossed).

The roasting bags sound like a good idea, I do struggle to eat different things which gets very boring. I had yet another salad for my lunch but its getting hard to keep eating it and I did struggle with it today.

I tend to eat quorn mince etc or fish occasionally chicken but Im not really bothered about eating meat.I miss my bread, Ive had the odd wholemeal slice but Ive tried to cut it out as best I can. I enjoy cous cous too you can get a mug shot cous cous which I have quiet often.

You have your holiday as an incentive to lose the weight, I have put a picture of where I was going inside my cupboard door before so everytime I went in there for a snack I saw the picture and it stopped me being naughty!

Good luck with your weight loss 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.