Back on Prozac, little improvement so far

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had panic attacks, anxiety and depression and recovered 3 years ago.

Last year I was on 20mg of Prozac for 8 months as a precaution for stress caused by upcoming surgery. It worked like magic and I was happy, calm, peaceful and enjoyed life like never before.

I stopped taking Prozac in June after the surgery and until September it was fine. I also see a therapist weekly. But my anxiety and depression returned and I restarted Prozac.

I've been on 20mg of Prozac for 6 weeks now. I had high hopes for week 3-4-5 but so far I had little improvement. I know recovery is a slow process but even I battle with this illness in all fronts, the results are discouraging. During this period I've read this forum and maintain hope. I have responsibilities and I know these also fuel my anxiety.

I fear what if Prozac does not do the trick for me anymore? Is it possible? I feel like no antidepressant will ever work for me anymore and hopeless. I feel like I never enjoy life again.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

How long did it take to kick in the 1st time? I have been 5 weeks on 20mg and Tues. will be 1 week on 30 mg. So 6 weeks total waiting for some relief from anxiety and obsessive behavior

• Posted

Actually pretty long. After 3 months I noticed slightly diminished anxiety (within normal range), increased tolerance of uncertainty, increased motivation and happiness. But in the beginning I wasn't in a crisis and wasn't waiting for a "kick in" moment. I guess it was gradual. Now just like you I wait for a "kick in" and probably my doc will up my dose. For me now every morning I open my eyes with lack of motivation, fear and restlessness, they improve slightly as the day progresses.

• Posted

I'm not quite sure my thoughts and anxiety are still there but I think it might not be bothering me as much but I'm talking a very tiny decrease,possibly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.