Back on sertraline after a year, not gone well.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys. I’m new here but just wanted some info. I’ve had panic and anxiety for a long time now. I was first prescribed sertraline 6 years ago and it worked really well. I stayed in it for five years then last year I stopped as I felt really well. This wellness continued until about three months ago when I started to feel the same symptoms again. I just recently decided to go back on them. Saturday night I took 50mgs and had the worst night. The heart palpitations were terrible to the point where I called an ambulance. They said my ecg was fine and put it down to anxiety. I haven’t taking another one since and  still feeling the side effects. I’ve spoke to the doctor and she wants me to take 25mgs instead and given me a small dose of diazepam for discomfort in the early days. Does anyone else have experience of starting again? Is it worse second time around? I’m still undecided as to whether I am going to take the tablets as I still feel so awful. I’m tempted to take a diazepam just to help at the moment. Does that’s help? Never taken it before. 

Thanks guys! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I can't comment on restarting it,. But I can say that starting Zoloft is quite that rough ride, I started 2 weeks ago I did one week on 25mg and then up to 50mg where I'll stay for a wee while, I would strongly recommend support from the diazepam , I use 12.5mg of serequil to help me sleep and just chill out . As the days are a bit rough. But it's getting better wink

• Posted

Hi Daniel, I too was on sertraline for several years feeling fine so lowered my dose to 50mg. For 18 months I felt great then wack! 3 months ago my anxiety returned ruining my Xmas and so forth. 

3 1/2 weeks ago my doctor increased my dose back up to 100mg and the first few days were fine but then I had heightened anxiety and extreme panic. I’ve heard that whether you have been on before you will still have the side effects. 

I’m sticking with it because I know how good I felt before and these forums give me absolute hope. 

If your feeling this bad I would do what your gp has said and start the low dose very slowly increasing. Doing it this way you might have minimal side effects, but if you do just try to stay positive, remember it won’t last forever. 

Good luck Claire x

• Posted

Thanks for your support guys. I have taken 2mgs of diazepam so far. It has taken the edge off. I still keep getting moments of panic though. I might take another one soonish as I have to go out today. So far I’ve been bed bound. I hope the extra one will stop the panic and constant feeling of having to move. 

My plan is to now ride this sertraline out of my system and restart in a couple of weeks when I will have holiday and so will my partner. I’ve been keeping everyone awake at night sad best when we are all off. 

• Posted

Hi,

Yes it's a total waiting game. I was taken off Mirtazapine and put on sertraline overnight. I did not know if I had withdrawal or side effects and it was tough. I've been on Sert 100mg 6 weeks. I've had good days and awful days. Good sleep and bad sleep it really is up and down. I also take propanalol 80mg sr which helps and rather than a sleeping tablet I take phenergan (non-addictive) which helps. I also take magnesium and fish oil supplements daily. Just found out that I'm also lacking in vit D after blood tests so now have to take that. On the whole I have improved to where I was 6 weeks ago, then I felt like I was in hell. I've also started accupuncture which seems to help. I tried counselling but found it did not help me to talk about it and the thearapist was very patronising, pointing out that I really don't have much going on for me, which is not true so I just walked out.

So the name of the game is give it time, try to add good quality supplements and try a push urself a bit. I know it's hard as I'm still there recovering and have felt everything you have and probably still will for a while. Don't let this beat you, you are strong and have beaten this before and most certainly will do again!!! 

Take care and keep in touch.

• Posted

Awesome reply Richard, we will all beat it, anxiety is just thoughts, it can't kill you, you are still 100% in control. I've been on Zoloft for 2.5 weeks now, and it's hard , no doubt about it ! But I've been watching loads of videos on how ppl beat anxiety and there stories, Harry Barry also does some amazing videos also on this. Be patient and go with the flow, the more you fight, the more anxiety wins, acknowledge it and move on , it's working but it's hard , it gets easier !

• Posted

I can't speak about restarting. But been taking sertraline for about 6 weeks. Increased to 100mg and side effects are not nice. No appetite again, constantly back SBD for the toilet, struggling to get out of bed and diziness. 2 weeks in on 100mg and I just want to stop but guess I will try to peservere x

• Posted

Thanks for all your reply’s! I really appreciate it. 

Unfortunately, I have stoppped sertraline. It was just too much. I’m still feeling very bad off of it and I’m into the fifth day since taking it. I have spoke to the doctor who now wants me to try citalopram 20mgs. We shall see how that goes when I eventually try it. 

I still feel very rushy and shakey but yesterday I had a good day. Just want the sertraline out of my system before I go any further. Anyone have any experience with citalopram? 

Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.