Back pain

Posted , 1 user is following.

Can someone please tell me what would cause back pain almost in the centre/left? On Friday 18th July when it started, the pain was so powerful I could feel it through the front of my chest. I called NHS Direct and told them as they would tell me the best way to treat it, unless they think an ambulance is required. An ambulance was despatched to me by NHS Direct operator.

After going to hospital, they did the obvious tests thinking it was the heart, but that was ruled out. The hospital then sent me on my way. Without a diagnosis of pain relief.

Now I still have pain and find it hard to sleep at night. I do have two different prescription pain medication in the house but I can only get relief if I double up the dose, simply because the pain relief is for neuropathic nerves.

could it be I might have had a disk which has come out and gone back in, in a split second? One last thing is that I do have arthritis of the upper back/neck.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't know if this is UR issue. I suffered the similar mid back pain under the shoulder so sharp I could not move or breath. ER thought it was a heart attack tests showed I wasn't. They sent me home with pain med ..

several episodes later I was diagnosed with gallstones the stone was stuck in the bile duct and mimics heart attack pain. After galbladder removal never went thru that severe pain again.

im not sure if this is in UR case as u migh read up on the symptoms of gallstone attacks online. They symptoms of gallstone attacks vary ..the common symptom is it gels very similar to someone has UR chest and back in a clamp a really tight clamp.

CHEERS

HOPE

• Posted

I have not heard of that one, which in my case would not be out of place as I have had bladder cancer and an enlarged prostate.

But when I was discharged from the hospital, they gave me nothing and sent me on my way.

The worst thing was, is that I have never been to that hospital's A&E. I know the hospital and how to get to and from there but the A&E is at the back of the hospital and didn't know where I was going.

Thx, hope4cure for the idea as to what it could be. I will keep it in mind.

• Posted

hope4cure I thought to let you know that I went to the doctors and the back/chest pain that I experienced last Friday was to do with the condition that I have. As I suffer with cmt I thought that it affects only the muscles to the limbs, I was wrong. I the cmt takes hold, the next phase is where the muscles start to come away the rib cage as they get weaker.

So in a nutshell I will not be able to hold myself upright.

Incase you are wondering what cmt is the full name is Charcot Marie Tooth Disease. It is hard to explain, but I have already had surgery to the left ankle called "left revision cavovarus foot correction" also the following "Gastroc lengthening, peroneus longus to brevis transfer and os calcis valgising and first metatarsal dorsiflexion osteotomy.

please don't ask what it all means, I had to use the internet and look up each one.

I would like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you for your help.

• Posted

I would like to thank all that took part in this discussion, I have now been told that the back pain is part of the Charcot Marie Tooth Disease.

I was also told whenever it happens that I must call an ambulance as this attacks the muscle, you won't know if the heart will be affected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.