Back pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am three and a half weeks post op THR and my progress has been really good. I walk every day and even walk round house without stick, without pain, just stiffness. Pre op I was in terrible pain, couldn't stand for long and walking was unbearable. Over the years I have had quite a few boats of sciatica resulting in a discetomy in 2008 which left me with nerve damage.  Thisis all on right side.  My question is for the last couple of days when I am out walking I have been getting the pain across my back.  It's not as bad but I was just so pleased that it had gone and am now feeling down because it has returned. Am I overdoing it or is it just using different muscles tas for years I have been walking bent over.  Probably panicking but would love to hear from you lovely lot

Linds

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda

I'm assuming you've had a cemented THR as 3.5 weeks is a very short time to be walking at all w/o any support. If it's uncemented like mine, I've been recommended to use my crutches until my 6 week check up. But you might have been told different, so many of us have been.

I have high back pain due to lying

on my back since my op a month ago.

Yours might be as you say because of using muscles not used properly for a long time.

I'm assuming you are still lying flat for 2 hours+ per day to prevent contracture?

Good luck and hope it gets better; sounds like your body is trying to tell you something.

Janx

• Posted

Hi Jan, yes mine is cemented but maybe I should use stick more. I actually go to bed every afternoon for at least an hour.  I am not taking any meds apart from paracetamol, so perhaps should take the naproxen again. I think you are right, I should listen to my body. Thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated. X

• Posted

Linda,

I am five months post op. I never had(lower) back pain before my surgery but remember having it for a few weeks after. I limped so bad before the op I just figured my body was adjusting. Try to make sure you are not tensed up when you walk because of the stiffness of the new hip. You may also want to use a heating pad or icy hot. I still have some pain in my leg but find the more normal things I do the better I feel. I've been up and down on a ladder the last three days removing wall paper and painting. Waking up the first morning was a bear! Not because of my new hip, but because this was my first big project in a long time. My muscles were stiff and achy all over from bending, stretching, reaching, and stooping, ouch!

Good luck and hope you continue with a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thank you Kathee, I too had terrible limp before but that has gone.  Think you are right about tensing up, will try and relax more. Than you for your thoughts, helps so much x
  • Posted

Hi Linda,

i am also nearly 4 weeks post op and like you I am walking around the house with no crutch or stick.  I do take a crutch with me outside, simply because I,m scared of slipping in the mud!

like you, I could hardly walk before and the pain was severe.  I hobbled along like an old lady!  We are using muscles in a different way than we used to.  We are a lot more upright than before and it will take time to adjust.  I get Sciatica, due to Spinal Stenosis, which is made worse by the exercises, which I don,t do, but everyone is at risk of this because the nerve gets quite a bit of trauma from the op.  It is worth telling your consultant if it carries on for long.

we are so lucky, listening to our friends on here, some of them have terrible problems, bless them.

keep smiling!

love and hugs

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue

thank you for your reply.  Am seeing my consultant in a couple of weeks so will have a chat with him. Also got physio next week so they may shed some light on it. I agree that we are lucky hearing some of the horror stories. I am still in less pain than pre op so it's good and as Jan said, I am still only three and half weeks on. Impatient aren't I!  

Sending hugs x

• Posted

Hi. I had exactly the same problem but waited for six weeks and then visited a physio who understood the details of the THR operation and he gently manipulated my back to be comfortable. He also said that if it hurts, rest, as you have overdone things. Basically your body is recovering so give it time

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks Trevor, feeling better already with people's help and comments. Am seeing physio next week so hopefully they can help.

thanks, Linda

• Posted

Hi - make sure he understands the op you have had and treats your body accordingly - ie gently !!!
  • Posted

I would carry on using at least one crutch when out walking.  I found that after being in pain for a long time that I was bending forward slightly to counteract it.  I have found that if I try to pull my tummy muscles in,  it straightens my back and any pain in my back goes as I am now walking in the correct position.  Try it and see.  It is difficult at first but as your tummy muscles get stronger it becomes easier.
  • Posted

Hi Linda,

I had back pain before hip pain so it all amalgamated and because we walked stooped then standing straight again is causing pain in itself, I found that just standing still whilst walking and stretching to full  height obviously not over stretching the hip works, but I have to say only temporarily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.