Back pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello I'm looking for advice regarding pain I'm having. I have dull pain that sometimes gets sharp in my lower back and mid back. Sometimes the pain is in the front under my rib cage or on my side I think that's called flank pain. It can be quite painful. No uti shown in urine, white blood count a little high then went down, back and chest X-rays all clear. I don't know what to do or what test to ask dr for next. I'm so worried it something extremely serious, I've never felt this bad. Also, abdominal ultrasound was normal. Any advice? Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jen. I had the kind of pain that you're describing for 7 ย years. My then GP didn't take me seriously even when I presented him with worse symptoms, A locum finally diagnosed a massive kidney stone which was removed. Shame the GP wasn't!!! The locum said that kidney pain is diagnosed by pain "from loin to groin". No such advanced tests ย then as you've had. The trouble is no~one else can feel your pain. It could be an infection which wouldn't show on scans and x rays. I think I'd be relieved that nothing has shown on the tests that you've had done. My advice would be to tell your doctor of your concerns~My now GP is very good~and see what he says. I'm sure there'll be a solution soon. Best wishes Dot
    • Posted

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your input. I'm scheduled for more testing. My anxiety is a lot better, trying to stay calm.

thanks

• Posted

My apologies for the Long Response but I Really Hope my story can help you! *if I leave you with Questions, Feel Free to Ask!

Hi... I am in the U.S. so my use of Diagnostic Terms may be different ...

In 2008 I started the same "Vague" yet Serious Pain in my Right Flank. I was treated for Kidney Stones until 2012 when my Family Dr sent me to a Urologist ... He Referred me to an OB/GYN. I had Numerous Scans (CT-MRI-CYSTOSCOPY-SONOGRAM-ETC...) All Showed Minimal Stones that would not cause the level of pain I was describing ... fast forward 3 Years; 4 Major Surgeries; 6 Family Physicians; And Countless Late Nights Full of Excruciating Tears ... I Found a Blog that Listed Every Single Symptom I was suffering from as if I had written it myself!

Look into "NEPHROPTOSIS" (it is Not as Scary as it Sounds ๐Ÿ˜‰) ... basically my Right Kidney was Dropping Onto My Hip whenever I was the least bit Vertical - Causing a Kink in the Ureter - Backing Up Urine into the Kidney (flagging Infection) - Pulling on My Spine - Pushing on my Belly Button - Causing Countless Urinary Issues - The Pain Wouldn't Stop - My Adrenal Gland was malfunctioning so I was on a 6+ Year Adrenaline Rush - Cortisone left my Immune System Fighting Me vs. ACTUAL Illnesses so I caught Every Cold, Flu bug within 50 Miles ๐Ÿ˜‰...

So anyway, all of the Imaging Tests were Completed Lying Down ... When the Kidney was in the Accurate Position!??

So I Demanded my Dr order a Series of X-Rays WITH POSITION CHANGE ๐Ÿ˜„ It's Called an IVP- w/Position Change (Laying Down then Standing Up and ***After Emptying Bladder *which is when mine dropped the most) ...

Then I had to find a Surgeon Who Has Successfully Corrected this Disease...

Nov 2008 - Nov 2014 I was Told it was All In My Head.

Nov. 2014 - IVP Completed

Feb 2015 - Met UROLOGIST (900 Miles from my Home)

March 2015 - Had Nephropexy (900 Miles from Home)

Aug 2015 - MY LIFE IS BACK!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

It's been a Long Crazy Journey and I'm blessed to have a Husband that was willing to Believe Me (although it was tough) and lose everything we owned to save me... and that's almost where we ended up But We Stayed Together and many with this illness cannot say the same because of the length of time and Dr's Label You as a Pill Seeker - Wanting Attention ... VERY UNFAIR!!

I Pray you find Accurate Answers that Resolve Your Discomfort ~

• Posted

Amanda thank you for your input and telling me of your diagnosis. I truly appreciate it. I will definitely look into what you told me. My cat scan came back normal which is good but still can't figure out what's wrong. The pain is a little better. ย Wondering if I have an ulcer but don't think those cause back pain. Waiting for blood work results.ย 

Again, thank you!!!

• Posted

๐Ÿ˜‰ Don't mention it... I Pray you find answers and if you find it's not Nephroptosis, maybe while looking into Floating Kidney you'll stumble upon something that Leads to Your Solution! *That's How It Happened With Me ๐Ÿ˜‚ ... Mystery Diagnosis was Found Simply with a Combination of Pure Blessing - Lot Of Desperation - Guardian Angel and a Little Luck!!

Oh and I don't believe I mentioned this originally but I Could Not Wear Any "Thin Belts" around my waist. It was as if they caught my Spine On FIRE! Even my Dresses that had a gathered waist or Loose Drawstring would send me into Orbit with Pain.

In the last year I wore an Abdominal Brace just to keep constant pressure and relieve the Heavy Pulling on My Right Side which helped my Back Pain Considerably!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.