Back pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I suffer daily with pain at the top of my back between my shoulder blades mainly . Is this a common symptom of chairi ? I also suffer from migraine's with visual disturbances

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Really, the only way to know is to have an MRI. I had weird symptoms for about six years. You have to be proactive about the MRI. PCP physicians usually don't have that much knowledge. A neurologist could order the correct MRI for you. I hope you find the answer. Please let us hear what you find out.

• Posted

Thank you , I have had 5 MRI's and I was diagnosed last October with chiari . My neurologist wasn't very knowledgeable about the condition . All I know is my CSF flow is OK and the tonsils have dropped 8mm . I went to the doctors because of horrendous migraines , choking and severe headaches . But I'm now suffering with the back pain and was wondering if that is also a symptom . Its all still so new to me .

• Posted

Hi Beverly. I also suffer with severe chronic neck and shoulder pain. I've been getting trigger point injections almost every two weeks, which is about the only thing that lessens the pain. I've been suffering with all the typical symptoms of Chiari for ten years, but the neck and shoulder pain has become a major issue since September 2016. The trigger point injections also seem to decrease the oh so painful headaches and even sometimes help a bit with the dizziness. When I get them done, I make sure that the doctor is using lidocaine only. Some doctors tent to use both lidocaine and steroids, which lessons the amount of times you can receive the injections since repeated steroid use is not good for you

I really recommend trying trigger point injections for your back pain I'd possible. It's usually works so much better that any narcotic pain killer or muscle relaxer that I've ever been prescribed. I refuse to take narcotics anymore, because they are not very helpful for the severe pain that us Chiarians feel. You can do so research on the Internet and ask your doctor if they may be an option for you. Stay positive and feel better soon! If you do try rhe trigger point injections, let me know if they work for you.

• Posted

Hi Beverly,

I tried the trigger point injections at the base of my neck. Also, tried acupuncture and needling to no avail. I had shots in my back with no relief. I wish I could say I had better results.

All of us are different, it might work for you.

• Posted

Hi Bev

I'm assuming you have a formal diagnosis? If so how long have had symptoms. Chiari malformation can give each individual different systems but the most common is the migraine. Do you suffer from pressure at the back of your head and when strain or laughing on the top of your head?

Regards pain in your back you can get pain anywhere in your body and it's useful to note if the pain is worse on sitting or standing.

I'm assuming as you have a neurologist or neuro surgeon?

Visioual issues can be also part of chiar but if these are problematic I suggest you join chiari support which you will find a closed group of people who are all suffers of chiari malformation and at different stages too. They are a lovely bunch of people all of Hume know what your feeling and I can't stress enough the need to feel supported. So the group on FB is called chairi support and and you share notes so please come look us up its run by kare Kerr. Be good for you to join. We have people on that from all over the world too it's a good why to understand the illness and gain support. Chiari support on FB has a picture of cherry blossom I think

Take care and if you say jaquie clark recommended the site they will add you straight away as I am one of the admin

Take care jaquie xx

• Posted

Hiya 

i do believe these are to do with chiari malformation as I also have suffered from those exact symptoms, I recently had the decompression surgery and have had no signs of the back pain or migraines so this does lead me to believe it was due to the chiari malformation.

i hope this helped and I  wish the best for you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.