Back pain 9 weeks post op from TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I have posted previously about Pain in the Butt, since I had tor. 2 half years ago. I had TRHR its been great but since I had TLKR I have been terrible trouble with lower back/Butt on the right side. I am assuming it's because its the way I am walking, I feel having Knee replaced is causing this. Has anyone else been through this. I feel really depressed about it.Tit.To be totally honest the procedure and after care from having Knee replaced was Know where as bad as I thought it would be greatful for any feedback xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

At my last PT appt. I was talking about how I felt my gait was off. My PT thinks that my leg (with new knee) looked slightly longer than my left leg. She said that may explain my gait not being more natural. She suggested a heel lift and we tried one out in my left shoe. It does seem to help by evening out my height so that I am not standing with my right leg slightly bent while the other leg is straight. My gait seems more steady and I don't feel like I am limping as much when I walk. You may want to discuss this with your PT or doctor to see if this may be your issue as my PT said that it could lead to back pain if left untreated.

• Posted

SUSAN,

i had terrible after RTKR in my butt,back and 1/2 way down my leg. mine started at 3 weeks. this for me was due to IT band, that runs from butt down leg. the pain was awful. my PT massaged the tension out and gave me extra exercises to stretch it out as well as rolling an old fashion rolling pin over it daily. took care of it for me.

Pam

• Posted

Hi Pam I had IT band pain also, and also lower back pain. It was difficult doing rehab, but my physio therapist also massaged and gave exercises also. I use a foam roller on my knee to help with some scar tissue, which is helping with the bend.

• Posted

Hi I have lower back pain also which started at 3 weeks during rehab. I had sciatica on the right side of leg but now it has gone to my left side of my left knee replacement leg. I am working with my physical therapist for both my lower back and knee. I am having issues with the bend due back issues but it is getting better. I need also to straighten leg , do exercises for this which will help with gait. I still walk with a cane for balance also.It will get better with exercise, ice and patience. I have learned not to compare myself others and this has help in my recovery. Take care.

• Posted

susan86239, i am now 16 weeks post TKR and in the last two weeks i have developed pain in my central lower back (not butt). Likewise like yourself i have assumed it is the way i am walking, however i am not jumping to conclusions since the pain could be caused in my case by a number of reasons

1. The way i a sitting while doing a lot of reading in the house
    2. i also carry a light-weight haversack while out doing shopping, visiting the local library etc. (the haversack when fitted leans on my lower back area)
    3. i carry out quite a lot of walking up and down stairs trying to improve my leg muscles (Lightweight haversack fitted)
    4. incorrect walking gait, however i feel that i am walking o.k.

i am now trying to eliminate each of the above step by step to find out exactly the cause of my lower back pain.

Susan is it possible your back problem is being caused by some other factor rather than the way you walk?

• Posted

Hi, Its my consultant that said it's the way I walk, Left knee was replaced Right hip replaced 2 years ago, and it is in that whine area of Hip/lower back. Also I have got Post Polio Syndrome (PPS) which muscle on right side very weak. I am truly Fed up with being in Pain 😢 Once again thanks for your feedback x

• Posted

susan86239, having read your recent post, right hip replaced etc, appears to be a bit more complicated than my own back pain and i suppose you must take account of which your consultant says (pain caused by the way you walk) and follow the consultants advice to hopefully cure your back problem - wishing you all the best for the future.

Note: my own back pain is easing since i stopped doing a lot of walking up and down stairs!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.