Back pain after stopping drinking

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 45 year old heavy drinker. Decided it's time to quit the booze and I've not touched a drop for 3 weeks. Aside from other difficulties in quitting, I've developed severe back pains, in both upper and lower back. This happened the only other time I've quit drinking for more than a few days, which was 3 years ago. I don't usually have back problems. Coincidence it's happened twice, both times when I stop drinking or does anyone else have similar experience? Thanks in advance smile

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Definetly go and get a physical. Good for you that you are working to a healthier body. You should be very proud of yourself. Of course your body will be effected by stress now, no masking it with alcohol anymore so you have to step up to the challenges of dealing with everything. Thats a goid thing. In this case best to honestly go to gp and check out your pains though. A healthy liver friendly diet would be of great use for you.i have never drank but in learning anout how any substances effect your body, liver and kidneys it makes sense. In the meta physical sense you probably feel like the weight of the world is heavy upon you which would create aches and pains but because you have been a heavy drinker absolutely an exam would be needed now. The doctor will be a lot more familiar with whats going on in your system and im sure able to help.
  • Posted

Hi Ned

Well done for not drinking for 3 weeks.  A agree with Lisa to get your back looked at and as you are not masking the issues with alcohol the stress will be more evident.

• Posted

Hi Ned

I agree with the others - worth getting yourself checked out by your GP. 

Alcohol is an effective painkiller so you may have been masking an underlying problem. Or you may just be suffering from muscle tightness due to stress. But there is only one way to find out!

Your GP will be pleased that you have quit drinking so don't feel bad about going and being completely honest. Worth getting a few blood tests to rule out any kidney or liver problems.

I suffer with arthritis (back, hips, neck, wrists, knee) and have to admit that a couple of glasses of wine in the evening has often helped ease the pain. As I suffer with a liver condition (unrelated to booze) I decided to stop drinking and yes, I feel the pain more now in the evenings, but it is worth it because I enjoy my alcohol-free evenings much more. I feel that I can do more and also wake up with more energy.

Good luck smile

• Posted

The back pain was probably always there....just you didn't feel it because alcohol was numbing the pain. 

Yes, when I quit drinking...a month ago...now...I have all kinds of pain I can feel everywhere and its horrible.  BUT, drinking was more horrible and killing me slowly.

Deal with the pain in a constructive way by seeing a Dr...having the x-rays for arthritis...etc...a pain med or special exercise..or losing weight may be in order...but drinking is not the answer.

Alcoholics...always think (me too)....well this didn't happen when I drank.  Well that is the cunning demon of alcohol wanting you to come back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.