Back pain after total knee replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am three weeks post op from a right total knee replacement.

My knee is nowhere near straight and the pain is not subsiding. I am walking on one stick inside the house but have terrible lower back pain, something I didn't have before the op.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Carol

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes had bad back pain after op but not immediately . At three weeks your pain will be bad, mine didnt improve untill 7-8 weeks . All quite normal

• Posted

Yes had bad back pain after op but not immediately . At three weeks your pain will be bad, mine didnt improve untill 7-8 weeks . All quite normal

• Posted

Thank you Jenny, its good to hear the experiences of people further on.

• Posted

I had TKR 7 years ago. It was a long and hard recovery period but I can't recall actually getting any back pain.

I assume you are having physiotherapy?

Hang in there it does get better with time.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah xx

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Had the first session last week, another tomorrow.

It's been harder than I imagined but only 3 weeks post op so maybe I am expecting too much.

Many thanks for replying.

carol xx

• Posted

Perhaps, inside the house, you still need to use your crutches. I used my crutches for six weeks, inside and outside, although I would let one crutch dangle while I carried a cup of tea from the kitchen through to my lounge after around three weeks.

• Posted

Early days! Back pain could be caused by lack of exercise. You could try gentle chair Pilates. I am 8 months post op and can just about get around indoors using a Walker. It will get better in time. I'm afraid Surgeons seem to have an inflated optimism about recovery times as I have found out.

• Posted

Ain't that the truth! I'm learning now that it could take many more months to get back to normal or near normal.

• Posted

Hello James

thank you for the reply. Yes, i think you are right. There seems so much pressure to be back to 'normal' certainly from the hospital physio's.

I hope you recovery continues. all the best carol x

• Posted

Thank you Carol, I was discharged after three days, completely unable to walk. It took me half an hour to get from the car to my front door and 1½ hours to get upstairs. I can only put a little weight on the leg, but it is improving. It seem a bit of a conveyor belt system for the operation and not enough after care. I wish you a speedy recovery . x

• Posted

Every case is different, Gillian. My sister had the same op. as me and she walked out of hospital, on crutches in two days!

• Posted

Really sorry to hear that. I'm guessing that post operative care varies from one health authority to another. I was taught how to use crutches to go up and downstairs before I had my operation and had to demonstrate to the physiotherapist that I could do so before I could go home. James, I hope you see some improvement very soon. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.