Back pain after total knee replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am three weeks post op from a right total knee replacement.

My knee is nowhere near straight and the pain is not subsiding. I am walking on one stick inside the house but have terrible lower back pain, something I didn't have before the op.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Carol

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

my right lower back and hip ache unbearable! I'm on constant pain meds! I hope it goes away soon, no sleep and can't sit still for long periods of time, also foot numbness and pain, can't drive yet! anyone else going thru this??

• Posted

I'm 4 months on my right knee and 7 weeks on my left knee and they are still not straight. you get exercises to straighten them. I was 8 years with both knees being bent and bandy legged so they said that it would take longer to straighten them. but after 3 weeks I wouldn't be concerned

• Posted

HI carol, 3 weeks is not a long time , surgeon told me it can take up to a year to heal fully, so you have along way to go, but dont loose hope, all you are feeling is quite normal. After 6 to 8 weeks you should see some improvement, but you'll continue to make progress day on day, week on week. I don' t know if your're from the UK as i am ( Cornwall ) but here they stress over & over that you MUST stay on your crutches for at least 6 weeks, even if you feel quite able without them. It might be whats causing your backache if your're just using one stick so early on. Your knee will heal at its own pace, so don't be too disheartened. When I first had my TKR done ( JAN '18 ) I thought, what have I done to myself ? now I'm so pleased not to have anymore pain....I'm having my second knee done in a few weeks, so I can look forward to all that you're going through all over again ! Haha. Good luck with your recovery, I wish you well.

• Posted

I agree with you. I'm in Greater Manchester and was told to use my crutches for six weeks. Same with my hip replacement three years ago.

• Posted

Hi Junie

I'm in the Northwest of England. Thank you for your encouraging comments.

Hope your surgery goes without a hitch and recovery is smooth,.

Do let me know how you go on.

All the best,

Carol x

• Posted

update..

just been back to the physio and she reckons there might be a defect there. to go back in 3 weeks if no change then getting refered back to consultant . nor what I wanted to hear!!

• Posted

just above my kneecap and at the right hand side of my right knee us very sore. can't straighten my knee. the physio took me thru a lot of exercises and came to the conclusion that there was something wrong. when I try and straighten it's a very very sharp pain. it's now 5 months on since the operation. go back in 3 weeks if no improvement then getting referred to the consultant... again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.