Back pain and headaches - mirtazapine side effect?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I've been taking mirtazapine for around 12 months. Has anyone else experienced back aches and headaches as a side effect from long term use? I didn't have problems for first 8 months or so.

i started to taper down to a 1/4 of a 15mcg tablet but still experienced aches and pains.

I wonder if taking mirtazapine over a long period makes you more prone to side effects, even on a much smaller dose?

Grateful for any thoughts on this. Feeling so rubbish a lot of the time!

Thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've been on 15 mg for about 5 days down from a high of 45 and my back has been sore today and the headaches and dizziness are something I'm experiencing also and are really frustrating. I also get itchy at night when I'm in bed after I take it and I have stomach issues also.. This drug has been a nightmare getting off of and today has been pretty hard so far as I'm having some anxiet, hope your symptoms go away soon and good luck in the future. Didn't do bad yesterday but you don't know from day to day with this drug.

• Posted

Thanks for your kind reply. I'm so sorry you are suffering too. When reading the side effects of the tablets i noticed back/muscle pain is a 1/10 symptom. but i don't get why it's so bad when i'm taking so little. I definitely agree, it helps with sleep, but that's the only thing. I'm fatter, slower and more forgetful than i've ever been my entire life!

Do hope your anxiety levels settle soon. Best of luck

• Posted

i know what you mean, i am on 15mg of mirtazipine, which i split into half in the afternoon and half again when i want to sleep some days i am alright and some days i feel awful, terribly weak legs, dizzy, strange dark nasty feelings sweeping through me, i am seeing doctor tomorrow, i am sick of it,this drug even puts your blood pressure high, and makes you feel faint and loss of balance, its supposed to make you feel well, it makes u worse if anything, the only benefit is i sleep much more, but apart from that i cant feel any help much, anyway hope your feeling a bit better, take care angela
    • Posted

So true Angela the only thing that it's any good for is helping with sleep but the side effects outweigh the benefit of sleeping somewhat better, wish I took a different course than Mirtazapine but have to just have to keep fighting to get off of it, best of luck to you also with your future dealings with Mirtazapine.

• Posted

Thanks for your kind reply and so sorry you are struggling with this tab too. Yes, i struggle to have anything positive to say re the tab. I'ike i just said to another reply, i do sleep better (which i am v grateful for) but the side effects of pain and grogginess are awful especially when you have work or kids to look after. I really hope you start to feel better soon. Thanks again for replying.

• Posted

hi,been on 2 yrs.Tapering from 15mg since may 2016.I have had constant back ache (lower) and all over aches.Sometimes lower back ache is so bad i cannot sit still and it stops me sleeping.I see you are on a low dose now(well done) but that you experience aches -i posted yesterday with this very question ie are lower doses better for aches etc than higher and the answer seems to be no.As regards headaches -could be due to high blood pressure.The mirt has pushed mine up to a constant 180/120 which is too high -i am already on 2 types of meds for it.I am off to see doc this fri to discuss -it maybe i need to increase blood pres pills.I have noticed that mirt affects my long distance vision - watching TV is fine but anything furthur is kind of blurry,spaced out kind of vision.The number of people that i know that i ignore is embarrassing ,they must think me very rude seeing as i know half the town.This could be due to mirt and/or high blood pressure.Getting off heroin is easier -2 weeks of crap and you're done withmirt it will take me 18 months or more.(i can only do max of 5% each 2 wks)."Fight the good fight"

• Posted

Indeed! Fight the good fight.

So sorry you are struggling too. The tablets are grim and i wish i'd never started ed them. My GP thinks the back ache is caused by tension/anxiety and i need to up my dose back to the full 15mg. I'm not so sure?!

I don't get why an anti depressant causes muscle aches, do you? Especially when taking a smaller dose.

Thanks again for replying and hope things improve soon

• Posted

When my back is really bad I too question if it's anxiety but I'm not convinced it is .I am sure it's mirt so if I were you I would really think about increasing mirt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.