Back pain and IBS

Posted , 104 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with IBS after a bad bout of what I thought was trapped wind. The symptoms listed in various articles seem to bear this diagnosis out. However, nothing much is said about back pain. My IBS spasms start with bad back pain which then spreads round the right side to the front (I think it's called the epigastrium).

It mainly starts in the evenings and can end as abruptly as it starts for no apparent reason, leaving me feeling pretty tired. Otherwise I go and lie down and it eventually eases off.

Does anyone else get this with IBS?

13 likes, 153 replies

153 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yeh I really feel that there is something behind trying not to worry about it ... if only it was so easy! haha

I've heard antidepressants could help may try asking my doctor (or a new doctor)

And really considering acupuncture too which I feel could work if I believe it will haha positive thinking smile

• Posted

hi there, im starting to wonder if i have ibs, i thought i was suffering from a stomach bug but after a week of it im starting to think its not it doesn't occur everyday so that was another reason i didnt think it was a bug the symptoms are like a severe stitch like feeling in my left side then feels like its burning the pain then shifts to the middle giving me terrible heart burn then i have a bout of diahorea which admittedly feels better but then left with a dull ache in my lower back it also seems to ease off if i lie down but when i get up and walk about i can feel the pain comming back, i often feel like i have trapped wind i will be going to the doctors next week but thought i'd ask to see if anyone could ive me some advice on what it could be i have had to cut back on coffee and coca cola as the symptoms are much worse after drinking these drinks
  • Posted

oh i'll look that up thankyou house
  • Posted

I've suffered from IBS for several years now. It does seem to be much worse at night, and I have quite a lot of sleepless nights, when the pains get so bad and I'm constantly going to the toilet as it feels like I need to empty my bowels - usually to no avail. I'm currently quite unwell, having had a kidney infection, whick has made the IBS much worse, with lots of wind and associated pains and really bad lower back pain. I've been taking Buscopan and Mebeverine for some time now. I don't know if they help as the pain never really goes away - I keep taking them as I think the pain would be much worse if I didn't. I sometimes find lying in a warm bath is helpful. It is embarrashing having wind, especially when you cannot control it at the workplace. Is there anything that gets rid of wind, in a less embarrashing way? Does anyone know of any other treatments to ease the pains?
  • Posted

HI all, Ive been recently experiencing bad diarrhoea, well for a little while now. I first put it down to my medication but now Ive been reading up on IBS. I have had a bad back for days now and on and off having diarrhoea. Im starting to think i have IBS. I havent been to work i left early on wednesday and was off thursday anyway. Im having a review of my sickness on the 5th november as have been off with various other things and now ive been off with this. Im so worried im going to lose my job. Do you think this sounds like IBS?
  • Posted

Hi, due to a stressful event in my life the result is now IBS! I suffer back pain and stomach pain which normally lasts about 5-10 minutes and goes as quick as it starts. I've found that ice water and pure aloe vera gel have really helped. I've been waking up with cramps/spasms and drinking the aloe vera and noticed its calming and the pain goes quicker so I can go back to sleep.

I'm hoping it'll calm down and go as things progress but I've known others who found aloe helped them a lot and so am trying it myself and will drink it everyday for the next month and update you.

• Posted

Hey, my dr thinks I have ibs and I have mebevrine but I have aloe Vera gel too how much do you take and what time of day?
  • Posted

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I've suffered with chronic IBS/H Pylori/Anxiety issues for over 10 years. It's been hellish. Almost daily I feel like I'm having a heart attack and have been hospitalised several times for ECGs etc and they always say it's my stomach. It doesn't matter what I eat - even a slice of toast can cause heartburn and trapped wind. For a while now it's been worse in my back and chest. I've had an Endoscopy and it was normal. I've tested positive for H Pylori but no active infection at the moment. I'm so tired all the time and look and feel bloated and awful. In desperation one doctor gave me a prescription for 6 different medications to take. Nothing seems to work. Last time I had severe chest pains the doctor at hospital suggested I up my intake of Omeprazole to 80mcg a day - the recommended dosage is 20mcg doubling to 40mcg for short periods. It's a life-changing condition and everyone seems to think it's hilarious when you've got heartburn or trapped wind. I can be OK for a couple of weeks then it starts up again. Right at this very moment I'm in the middle of a severe attack with pains between my shoulders and back and chest. A little burp gives me relief for seconds before it starts up again. I've tried natural remedies as well as reflexology and oesteopathy. You all have my sympathies. It's thoroughly unpleasant.
  • Posted

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with IBS this morning at a walk in centre. For a long time i've had feelings of bloatedness and onoff diaerrea and always put it down to something in my diet. It has never been discomforting until last year when i came down with severe stomach cramps and pain my lower back. The pain was unbeliveable and i thought i was going to die. It went as quickly as it came after taking ibuprofen and i forgot all about it until i had it again yesterday. The pain was just as before, i could't even think straight let alone do anything at all. So i took myself down to the hospital to have it checked. The doctor ruled out my appendix or urinary infection and confirmed IBS.

It is good to have this forum, now I know I'm not alone in my pain and missery!

Now I'm having a long hard look at my diet, it will be tough to cut out my daily coca cola and i love curries and chili sauce, so they're out as well.

I find sitting down helps best which is what i'm doing now as i currently still have the symptoms. Drinking peppermint tea which is revolting! With a hot waterbottle on my tummy, ibuprofen on stand by which works quite well and i also have mebeverine. I also picked up some Senokot from the pharmacy but not sure if I should take them.

• Posted

I've never experienced much back pain with my IBS but I do get a lot of stomach cramps and on/off diarrhoea and my stomach never feels comfortable.

I am undergoing lots of tests to see if there is any other cause, I have an ultrasound and a colonoscopy coming up (dreading it!)

But I did take a laxative once before (dulcolax i think) and was woken up at 5am with very intense stomach pains - I know this doesn't happen to everybody but just a warning maybe make sure you desperately need them before taking them.

Hope you find something that helps.

• Posted

Thanks RJ92, i suppose there's no exact science behind it all so i'll try the Senokot and see what happens! On the plus side i work for an NHS practice in admin so i'll be in good hands if i get IBS at work!!
  • Posted

No I don't think there is, I'm keeping a food diary at the moment but I can't spot any pattern my syptoms flare up randomly and especially when I'm stressed. Haha that is very fortunate, I'm doing a science based course at University, hoping to get into the NHS as well!
  • Posted

Hi all!

Have any of you tried the FODMAPS diet? I have had IBS to some degree all my life. I'm in my 40's now and recently started this diet and it has changed my life. I was recently in so much pain I was thinking I can't cope with this any more!

I had no idea that apple, avocado, celery etc etc were responsible for so much of my pain. I already knew that bread sometimes really hurt me and things like onions.

The good news is that once I have "reset" my stomach I can try these things again gradually and I may be able to eat them again.

I have the Monash FODMAP app on my phone and refer to it before I eat anything, as I'm still going through the reset part.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that when I was having a BAD attack I had really bad irritable bladder and back problems too.

I would be going to the loo several times an hour, a tiny amount of urine each time, but after a week I can not believe the difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.