back pain - anxiety?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had lower back pain for a couple of weeks now. My skin is warm to touch and its a dull, burning ache pain. Its now radiated up my back. I don't know whether its real or an anxiety symptom.

I do need to lose some weight which may help and also have a 1 year old who I should probably carry less. My Gp thinks its muscular and has given naproxen but I'm not sure. Has anyone else had this with anxiety symptoms?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety is a huge 'issue'in it's own right that can cause some strange physical symptoms throughout the body, however on this occasion I think your doctor is correct in his diagnosis and it is muscular.
  • Posted

Hello Lynne,

I have lower back pain and i take Naproxen, it does sound like muscular. Mine is Arthritis. You would not be given Naproxen if it was anxiety. Hope this helps to answer your question.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Lynne, just to mirror what has already been said - Naproxen is prescribed for musculoskeletal conditions and not for anxiety.

If you think it might be in any way connected with anxiety then you do need to go back to your GP for a further consultation.

• Posted

Thank you both. I did tell my Gp I was concerned it was an anxiety symptom but she said she thought muscular. I felt a pain for going as it was my second time seeing her this week and she knows I'm suffering with health anxiety.

I have been running today and noticed that I had no pain at all until i started thinking about it which again makes me think its an anxiety symptom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.