Back Pain/Diarrhoea

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I'm looking for some advice / thoughts on a few symptoms I have.

For around 2 years now I have had terrible back pain that has only got worse, it's mainly 95% of the time when I lay down.

Early days when it began, I thought it was a change of mattress that was causing it, but it wasn't.

Basically, if I lay down for more than a hour, my spine gets so painful, I cannot even get up the pain is that bad without aid from someone.

This in the early days was controlled by Tramadol given by my GP.

I had a MRI for severe leg pains around 12 years ago, which showed nothing.

This leg pain went around 6 years ago.

However, over the last 6 months the pain has got so bad now, I barely sleep as it's too painful to go to bed.

I've had diarrhoea on and off now for around a year, I do have IBS.

But these days, soon as I eat I have to use the toilet.

I get severe cramps and the pain is so bad I double up with it.

Recently, around 2-3 months my back pain as now turned into having right side mid pain, it's strange because if I lay on my left it doesn't happen.

But the pain is like I've been kicked and it's bruised my internals.

The longer I lay on my right side the worser the pain gets, again if it gets so bad it disables me and I need help to get up even.

It's not there during the day or when I'm up.

I am genuinely concerned but I'm looking for advice because I have a huge phobia of blood tests, so bad I have no control over it, and I actually black out cold for a good few minutes and have fits during.

I know that when I go to the GP the first of all tests will be bloods.

I just first need some ideas what this could be :-(

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

What you are describing sounds like an IBS flare up which can cause back pain. People with IBS often have to run to the loo after eating if a certain food triggers symptoms.  Try a food diary or the Low Fodmap diet to establish what foods upset your stomach.  Do not worry!  I have a back inijury which felt worse with my IBS.

I have to go to the hospital for blood tests because the nurse at my doctor’s surgery didn’t know how to do a blood test and left me with permanent neuralgia.   Hospitals are better for blood tests because they have a whole department devoted to it called phlebotomy.  They will spend much more time with you and will make adjustments according to your needs.  They did this for me and it really helped and I had no injuries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.