Back pain effecting breathing?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello!

I have had back pain for the past three years now. It is located on the left side of my upper back, underneath the scapula, and extends down the side of my ribs. It was not until a couple of months ago (5 months) that I started to notice difficulty breathing. It feels like i cannot take a deep breath, and I am constantly taking deep breaths through my mouth in an attempt to feel satisfied. I have to do this while I run, swim, workout, or play sports. Also, When i am just sitting at a desk, laying down, or doing anything, I constantly have to think about breathing. When I breathe through my nose, It feels like I am not getting enough air. I believe that it is due to back pain because it is my left lung that feels like it is not getting filled up, and that is where my pain is at. I have tried STEM, Ice, dry needling, cortisone shots, a deep tissue massage. Nothing has gotten rid of my dull back pain. I even took a month off from lifting (continued to play college sport.) Please let me know what you guys thing. I have tried everything.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Given that it's been chronic for the past few months I would talk to ur GP/PCP and see if they can run a chest x-ray, ultrasound and or EKG. It could be herniated discs or deferred pain. But because u notice change in breathing I think u should see ur doc sooner rather than later. In the mean time try heat packs and put a tennis ball between urself and a wall where the pain is and move around to stretch it out. Ur rather young to be having heart problems if they haven't run tests before but better safe than sorry. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.