Back pain from shattered ankle

Posted , 9 users are following.

For those who have shattered their ankle...

Has anyone developed bad back pain over the years because of the unnatural gait to your walking due to your shattered ankle?

I have and want to know if there are others out there with the same problem.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh my yes. I've had lots of back pain since I started walking after my ankle fusion. It was terrible until your body adapts but it takes a while. The best advice is don't allow yourself to limp. Take it slow and allow your body time. Good luck.

• Posted

I need to write this in big letters on my bathroom mirror!!! Great advice!

• Posted

my problem is similar but i have had a CAST on my left foot up to my knee for 3 months and riding my knee scooter i have horrible back pain! Been to chyropractor 3 times but my gate is off too. my cast comes off in 6 days then il go get my gate straightened and get massages. by the way i was on a none weight baring cast because the dr reconstructed my foot. GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

Oh yes! had similar problem few years back, not even able to sleep or walk. My friend suggested me to take therapy from XL Physical Therapy & Sports Rehab center in Ft Lauderdale, Florida. My Therapist prescribed me some medication or regular exercise to get rid off. Great experience,i advice you to don't limp and give time to your body to recover.

• Posted

best thing i did was to put a raised insole in trainer to balance out the height difference when wearing the boot so the limp was then not noticeable .

so cheap on ebay no back pain after ! xx

• Posted

Oh, yes! The advice on not to limp . . . Excellent! Limping makes it worse. We forget how interconnected our bodies are through fascia, muscles, nerves, etc. An impediment somewhere is going to show up elsewhere if we alter our gait or restrict our movement.

I've been seeing a chiropractor, and it has helped a lot. I had ankle surgery December 2017, and the surgeon cut the superficial perroneal nerve (which wasn't diagnosed for almost a year). Because of the nerve damage, I COULD NOT walk correctly no matter how many PT visits (50+). So I limped or was on crutches for almost two years.

The chiropractic visits are helping, but it's not instantaneous.

Take care of ALL of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.