back pain going right down to foot

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Been on here a few times frustrated with my Dad's attitude to his health. He has COPD and just had cancer removed from his voicebox in November.. He still smokes but reduced the amount.. i know he should stop but he wont.. anyway he also has a twist in his spine causing back pain but now it is traveling down his back leg and into his foot which is going numb and turns white.. this to me sounds like the blood is traveling correctly like a blood clot? what is everyone's thoughts? i told him to make an appointment which he said he would once the doctors has calmed down from christmas and new year.. i was gobsmacked .. i know he might be a little scared inside at what it could be but leaving this is not the answer..this could be extremely dangerous..

Thanks for reading

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

A blood clot in the leg causes a muscle spasm type pain in the calf. If he has a screwed-up back what's probably going on is that one of his discs are pinching a nerve. This can cause pain and numbness down the leg and all the way to the foot. It's called neuropathy. If this is the problem, very little can be done about it other than trying to make the patient more comfortable. Having several chronic illnesses myself I can appreciate where your dad is coming from. I am sure he is sick and tired of being in a doctor's office and/or a hospital. Try to be understanding and gently push him to make an appointment soon.

• Posted

Hi Amkoffee

I really don't moan at him but suggest he get an appointment.. i go to main appointments with him on top of my kids appointments which is a lot at the minute..and work all this around my work.. we do joke around saying hes falling apart but these things need to get caught asap.. i want him to enjoy his life now hes not working but he just keeps putting important things off.. he can barely walk the length of himself without stopping in pain..

😃

• Posted

Leane, we are NOT doctors and cannot possibly guess what's wrong with your father. You might just as well write a letter to your local newspaper about this as ask us.

• Posted

I asked for peoples thoughts not for someone to diagnose him .. so if you have nothing but cheek for me don't bother posting on my post

• Posted

People come on here in all the forums all the time, asking what's wrong with them, rather than go to a doctor. There are several things that could be wrong with your father. We can't DX him. Nothing about that was "cheek."

But maybe this is: your dad has a control freak daughter.

• Posted

and again i never said what is wrong with my dad..did I??

control freak! being annoyed that my dad hasn't seen to this when he agrees something is up.. i have 4 children 2 with thyroid issues and a chromosome disorder and a diabetic husband and a father with copd with cancer just being removed..i am an only child so on top of what i have to deal with the longer he leaves this the worse it can get and with no family near by this all falls on me to take care of him ...sorry for wanting to chat with people to get and idea what it could be as doctors can brush things a side very easily

• Posted

Hi Leanne73

Its easy to understand why you're so frustrated with your Dad as he is seemingly ignoring the Doctors advice on ways to lessen the severity of his copd. Unfortunately none of us likes to take advice from someone who hasn't walked in our shoes. So your Dad resists, but he knows you are concerned enough to try & persuade him onto a different path.

As joking dryly seems to make things better in your family (just like in mine), that could be the way forward. Wooden legs used to be worn by Pirates on the high seas! And the Parrot was a compulsory accessory!

It does hurt when our Parents age and they show the signs of poor health, but you can still make this time count in other ways, there's Bucket Lists all over the World.

Perhaps when your Dad sees its something that wont just go away, he may book that appointment. I hope so.

Meanwhile, try to take in some fresh air so you can get to grips with someone who refuses to be told! How about a walk in the Park for clearing the cobwebs?

Best Wishes

• Posted

Hi

My Dad enjoys fishing and i told him to see about it now while the weather is bad so hopefully he can get out and about and enjoy the dry weather..i have lived with pain for years and finally got a hip replacement 2 years ago at 34 and now pain free.. not that i think this will go away but hopefully something to help.. he also lives alone which is also a worry

• Posted

It sounds to me that smoking is affecting his circulation which is common in smokers. If this is the case he needs to urgently see his doctor as it could lead to gangrene and even amputation. He mustn't leave it any longer.

• Posted

Hi Hypercat

yes i worry about that.. i even said that so i could sadly scare him a little so he would think ok its time but no

• Posted

Hi Hypercat

Well my dad has been seen by the doctor...he has almost no pulse in his leg..so getting sent to get dye put in to see how much damage has been done..when walking he has a constant limp and pain.. he smoked yesterday at 9 in the morning and not touched one since..here's hoping he gets seen quick and he stays away from the smokes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.