Back pain. Help

Posted , 6 users are following.


yesterday I was cleaning my fish tank, I lifted it to empty the water and all of a sudden I had a pain in my back that took my breathe away. Then I couldn't move, if I try and move its like I have a cramp in my back. My neck and arms are also now aching, but my back is really painful. I am taking anti inflammatorys and applied ice then heat but its so very painful.

anybody have any idea what I have done?

muscle strain?

i do suffer with sciatica but this is not sciatica, the pain this time in in the middle of my back

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

  • Posted

    Get yourself to a Gp ASAP or go to a walk in clinic to get checked out You say you suffer from sciatica could be muscular strain or the discs 

    Mine started in my ribs that was last August I'm Going for a MRI scan as my disc are the trouble been on cocktail of painkillers and I'm on amitriptyline for sleeping both my legs are dead and I have lower back pain had physio last year plus hydro which only made things worse 

    Don't leave it 

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi leanne1976,

    Check-up with your GP is the first move. I suspect that it's muscular & the paralysis like symptoms are due to muscle spasms. A little scary when it happens but not uncommon. If you suffer from Sciatica, you obviously have a little bit of weakness in your back & lifting, twisting, etc. are not good combinations. If it's muscular, a great, but very short term, drug is Diazepam which will help relax the muscles. Good luck & hope you feel much better very soon.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Thank you both.. I have booked in with a chiropractor tomorrow but not sure if I should just be going to the doctors instead. I have had sciatica a few times and gone to my GP she did send me for a MRI but I had a panic attack when I was about to go in the tunnel so a little scared about going again. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      If you aren't able to stand an MRI due to claustrophobia, you could be referred for a CT scan instead? Not quite as effective on skeletal imaging but is an alternative. If you have a good Chiropractor, that you have found helpful before, then all well and good. Otherwise, see your GP first and ask for a referral to one who's associated with your surgery. If your Sciatica is not constant, you're lucky 😊 but follow a regular back maintenance routine with exercises which gently stretch & strengthen the spine - there's easy access to them online. Good luck and hope you feel better very soon!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Sounds like a strain and would let it rest with what you are doing....if I ran to a doc with every back issue, I'd be living there......I've dealt with a back mess which started at 18 and I'm now 76......

    Watch what you lift, be aware.     joy 76 US 

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up