Back pain help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I reached for a light switch 3 weeks ago and got lower back pain. Luckily the pain as just gone. I do not want to take any risks to set it off again. Is it wise to be lifting bin bags filled with rubbish yet? Any help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Bob

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bob, i wouldn't risk lifting anything yet. I have done that so many times as it's so tempting to rush back to normal and end up doing the same thing again. i think it takes a year to heal damaged tissue in disks etc and i think in that time you need to build up core muscles etc. Maybe you could ask your doctor to refer you for physical therapy. its best maybe to be on the cautious side or it could be much worse next time. Good luck

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your detailed help. A year is a long time. I do not want to take any risks. I don't it as bad as it was. I probably should check with a doctor. There is one very close.

kind regards

bob

• Posted

You don't mention your age. If your over 50 you should consider that you may hand osteoporosis. It's more common in women but can effect men as well. A dexascan is the test they use to look at your bone density.

If your under 50 I would suggest that you practice lifting with your knees. You do not want to overdo but don't allow yourself to stop completely.

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your help. I am under 50 and male. I now have a thing in my computer reminding me to squat down and lift with legs and knees not back.

kind regards

bob

• Posted

Yes you can lift things but learn to lift properly. if you aren't sure how to look online. Basically don't bend over but lower yourself up and down using your knees instead of making your back take the strain x

• Posted

Hello hypercat

Thanks a lot for your help. I now have a reminder in the computer to squat down and lift with legs and knees not back. Many many many many thanks.

bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.