Back pain. Looking for suggestions

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi,

I'm 21 years old and have middle back pain. Ive been doing online college school work and I think its from poor posture from that. i dont know though. i was sitting while doing it and then got a standing desk to see if that would help and it hasnt. ive tried everything and nothing seems to be working. I've tried physiotherapy, masage, chiropractor, over the counter pain killers and pain killing creams. nothings working. i went to a doctor and they recemonded physiotherapy and massage. im gonna go again and see if they suggest anything else. I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions to try. I really want the pain to go away. I’ve only had one session of physiotherapy, did you guys find that it helped when you kept going?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Physio will definitely help you will probably been given exercises to do at home make sure you do them. I find sitting or standing for long periods does aggravate my back, you should change position regularly. There are various seating pads you can get to make sure you are sitting in a better position,I've got a sitting wedge and a lumbar support,the later is excellent for car journeys. A body-tek back magic may be a good idea to try in between your studying sessions, I have used mine for years. I use arnica gel which can be applied regularly and can still take painkillers. I also have orthopedic insoles in my shoes so my posture is better when standing. Ice packs can help alleviate the pain. Everyone is different these are things they might not work for you.

• Posted

thanks for your reply 😃 what do you mean change positions? what do you do?

• Posted

If you are studying don't stand at your new desk for long periods move around at least every hour,walk around the room do your stretches but dont stay in a fixed position for hours on end. My job is part standing part sitting so it works well for me.If I have to do training I take my back magic with me and lie on it in break.you only need to lie on it for 5 mins it gives you a good stretch,I use it every morning and when every my back really aches. When I was 1st given stretches I did then every day then after 2 months I decided I was a bit better and stopped for a week,how daft that was,I have do them every morning. Hands on physio does help.Ive had accupunture it didnt stop the pain for me but helped as it really relaxed me,I used to fall asleep.

• Posted

You said that physiotherapy didn't work but you've only gone one time. You really must go for several weeks and do the exercises the therapist gives you, everyday. You don't know if it will work or not, yet. Please give it more time. You should also be taking an ibuprofen to help with the inflammation. But do not take it any more then say a couple of weeks because it will do some major damage to your stomach. I know this from my own experience. You might also as for a prescription of Meloxicam (brand name is Mobic). It is a anti-inflammatory and pain medicine too. It is not addictive nor is it a narcotic. It works similarly to ibuprofen. Finally, take this seriously. You need to do anything and everything to help your back. Otherwise you could be stuck with this pain for the rest of your life and you are far too young to have a painful back for the rest of your life.

• Posted

trust me, i have been trying everything haha. My physiotherapist gave me some stretches to which I've been doing every hour or so. what did your physiotherapist have you do?

• Posted

So many. The PT I used to use and he was by far my favorite one. He would make up all kinds of things for me to do when I was with him and send me home with a printout of several exercises for me to do at home.

You really should not do the exercises more then twice a day. How often did your PT tell you to do the exercise?

• Posted

I forgot to tell you my story when I used PT. When I saw my favorite PT I could barely walk. I could not stand or walk more then five minutes. He started me out by just walking around my house. My dogs would follow me. I'm pretty sure they thought I was crazy. LOL! After a while I walked around my yard. Doing more and more rounds of my back yard. (it's almost an acre.) I eventually started walking around my neighborhood. That's when he told me he wanted to see me do a 5K. I thought no way was I going to be able to do that but I did. My very healthy sister agreed to walk with me at my pace. I was the last one to cross the finish line. But that did not matter to me. What mattered is that I finished the race. I'm not going to say that all of this exercises cured my pain because I still hurt and I was still having to take pain meds but at least now I could go to the store without needing the scooter.

• Posted

Hi Emily,

Sorry you are low & suffering,

I'd advise low impact exercises like swimming, Pilates, gym ball exercises & walking.

(1st check with your physio if they are OK to do)

Back pain is reduced by keeping active, the less you move, the more issues become chronic, the stamina your muscles will deteriorate & the less core support you have.

Quite often, regular gentle movements will realign a minor displacement & remove kinks from muscles & ligaments, the plus side is your muscular skeletal systems are then easier for your therapist to work with if the problem is something more.

Other than that, sitting at a desk for many hours is an adverse thing to the human bio-mechanical frame, we are still designed from our evolution for motion & standing.

When you are healed enough, maybe try a sit-standing desk, with regular swaps between sitting & standing, its much better for a healthy posture * strong core.

Love & luck to you & yours

Steve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.