Back pain ongoing for 4-5 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there, 

I'm a 28 year old male who has been suffering lower back pain now for between 4-5 months. This is not the first time I've had back pain, although previously it hadn't lasted this long.

The pain is accompanied by tension around my lower back, and has been causing me to hunch over when I first stand up. It has also been affecting my hips, my knees, ankles, and feet, with daily occurrences of pain in each of these locations. The pain is making it difficult for me to walk properly, and has been causing me pretty awful fatigue every day and nausea on occasion. In one instance I had started going up some stairs, 5 flights in total (which in normal circumstances I would have raced to the top of, or walked very briskly without a problem) and I had to stop after 3 flights for 5 minutes to regain my energy. I have also been napping in the day time due to tiredness.

Doing things like putting my shoes on requires me to do it standing upright, whilst I lift one leg at a time, as it's difficult for me to kneel down and get back up without pain. I also have 3 kids, so it's been really affecting me doing dad things with them, or helping my wife with shopping etc. If I go out for 30 minutes or more pushing a buggy, my hip and back get pretty bad, and I end up having to nap when I get back.

I've been to the doctors twice now. The first time I was told to buy a new ergonomic chair for work, which I did (It's comfy, but didn't do much for my back.) the second time I was given a prescription of co-codamol and given an appointment for an x-ray, which has just come back as being fine.

I have not been in any recent accidents (I did have a serious accident 20 years ago, falling 30 feet through a roof; but no damage to my back was found, and I guess this would have shown on the recent x-ray if this was the cause.) I would normally be fairly active, brisk walking about an hour each day for work, school, shopping etc. I'm 6' 3", about 11 stone, and I work a desk job.  

What should I do? What could it be? Should I push for other scans to check for non-bone related back problems? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Push for scans took me a year for a mri I'm on cocktail of painkillers I take pills to help me sleep pain in hip back of neck got sciatica in both legs 

Had pain since my early 20s 43 now had physio which did nothing for me it's hell I can't stand for long periods or walk sitting in a chair is painful 

Don't let it overtake your life because it will 

All the best 

• Posted

karl.

As Marshall said request your GP for an MRI. I'd had back pain for a while

the xray showed nothing, MRI showed the bulges in the lumber the lot. Onceback took ages for the physio appointment, and its only one day a week. Eventually as there was no progress they referred me to the pain management clinic. Have had a root nerve injection in the back has helped a lot, but still get a nag every now and then just have to make sure when I bend or reach for anything I do it in stages no sudden jerks. I have three very active grandchildren and they want to play all the time and the youngest wants lifting can't do, just in case so play on his level etc

I have also been to a chiropractor in the past and I must admit on both occasions having gone in stooped came out standing tall.They used a product called biofreeze, and I bought it from Holland and Barratt and that has also helped me when I have had a niggle. But as my physio said everyone is different, they can only do what they can. I have gone onto various websites looking for exercises to help me try and strengthen my core, they seem to work as long as you do it sensibly and not bull at the gate situation. Yes the chair may help too, with posture a little but if there is something more underline then it must be sorted, what you don't want in the long term is surgery when they give you a 50/50 chnace of recovery. So push for the MRI scan with your GP, if you have been going to him for a while without an improvement, then I can't see why he does not go for it. Better now to get a result than being a long term burden on the NHS.

I've tried to be positive with the above I hope it helps, The biggest problem to a lot of this we don't learn how to manual handle properly etc, and it tends to catch up with us sooner or later.

wish you the best of luck GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

• Posted

I'm in the US and don't know too many who do not have back pain and issues....sitting for long periods of time is a no no....get up and move if you have a sitting job.....and most do more than ever...

Stretch and do mild exercises, get some physical therapy from time to time, learn to deal with your back...   My back issues all started at 18 and I'm 76 and I also believe in a lot of bone support supplements to help us on this journey.....

Be aware of what you do all the time....think about some yoga stretches....and meditation can help quiet the pain ... there are MANY ways to manage all this...

Now if you  have breaks, then  you would know it.   J

• Posted

Karl you may have spinal stenosis though you're a bit young to have this.  Yet your symptoms as described are similar, but only a MRI scan will reveal this.  Never had a desk job but lugging a tool box around a factory got me just the same. Walking is a good exercise, mentally as well 

all the best mate.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice and support everyone! I will push for another scan. 

@frank24438: it does sound awfully similar, and I will make sure to mention stenosis to the GP at my next appointment.

I'll post up an update when I hear anything.

Again, thank you, and all the best.

Karl

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.