Back Pain That Speads

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 60 year old male who has started getting pains intermittently at the bottom of my back. It sometimes spreads and the pain is in my upper back / shoulders and then another time is in my side which has gone down to my testicles.  Since July I have had a pain in my left arm normally around the crook of my arm but then sometimes it moves higher.  The back and left arm is the most common place for the pain to be though. Has anyone come across anything similar. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Go see your  GP and have a check over, it could be that youve strained a muscle

Or trappped a nerve, you may have an injury i.e. Disc?  but because you've left it the pain can become deferred, GP get sorted and let us know how you get on😊

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Caroline. I have been to see an osteopath who thinks it is a problem with a disc at the bottom of my spine. She massaged it and it did seem better. I will go and see my GP if it doesn't improve. 

• Posted

It is definitely time to go see your doctor. He will probably just do an x-ray to start with but eventually you're going to want to get an MRI. There is something called degenerative disc disease which I'm pretty confident you have at the age of 60. Most people have it and don't get any pain from it and then there are those of us who have it and have pain. You could also have bulging discs that impinge on your nerve. And that can cause the radiating pain down your arm and in your to your groin area. It is a little unusual for you to have it down your arm and lower back at the same time but you could have bulging discs in your neck and in your lower back it's not impossible.

• Posted

Many thanks for your comments, I saw an osteopath who is of the opinion that I have a problem with a disc at the bottom of the spine which could be linked to just wear and tear. Since she massaged it has seemed easier, I will go and see my GP if there is no improvement. One thing my osteopath said was that I had a split in my abdominal raphe whatever that is. 
    • Posted

You should have asked her to explain, hopefully someone will know on here, if it is wear and tear try not to go down the operation route unless it's absolutely necessary, good luck and keep us updated 😊

• Posted

A split in the Abdominal Raphe means it can now no longer provide tension and stability. All the abdominal muscles meet at the front of your abdomen – so when the linea alba stretches and leaves a gap – it takes all your ab muscles with it. And because ALL the muscles of the abdomen- Transversalis, internal and external obliques, as well as Rectus Abdominis – meet at this centre midline, all are compromised, and the resultant lack of protection and stability affects the whole body both aesthetically and functionally.

I think basically it means there are problems with yout abdominal,muscles and they are not providing support to you stomach and back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.