Back playing Tennis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am 71yrs old

Had a TKR about 18 months ago and seem to be doing very well. The first 8 months i went to Gym 3 times a week doing Bike, Rowing machine. Cross trainer. Treadmill. Leg extentions, knee curls and leg squats.

I have been playing Tennis for the last 50yrs and the consultant told me i should be ok to carry on playing after the operation.

Anyway last February i started back playing indoors with the Evergreens once a week and last April started playing competitive Tennis at my local club all Summer. (Only doubles never singles lol)

I now play 2 times a week indoors and sometimes once a week outdoors.

I still go to Gym once a week. I set myself a goal 18 months ago to play tennis. It was a lot of hard work at the beginning, but know i am very happy. I think the secret is to never give up and aim for something which you can achieve. Each person will have different expectations.

I am not saying i am fully 100% recovered but am at least 95% and i know my limitations on the Tennis court . The first 2-3 months after the operation are very demanding and at times you wish you had never had the operation, but as i said earlier never give up and it does get a lot easier. Also walking is very good for the Knee.

I hope this gives a lot of inspiration to those who have just had the operation or those waiting.

Always think positive and you WILL achieve

Howard

4 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Thats fantastic Howard, I'm also 18 months post TKR and still battling. Mostly pain on going up and down steps, feels like the prosthesis rubs on my knee cap. i wasn't told about doing excercises to strengthen my weakened muscles, so i think that has a lot to do with it. I have now started seeing a bio kinetics chap who is giving me thigh strengthening excercises. i definetly agree with you that excercise will definitely improve your chances of a full recovery, but not to overdo it. thanks for your post.

Gaynor

• Posted

Hi Gaynor

I am pleased to hear that you are starting to do some Strength excercises. I was told you need to strengthen your Quad muscles which have become floppy in your thigh.

These are the muscles that support your new knee.

Plenty of bike work, Leg presses, leg extensions and knee curls. Its hard work but you will find after a few months a lot more strength in your leg and your new knee will feel a lot better. As i said earlier walking is very good make sure you bend your knee when walking and dont walk with a stiff leg or you will end up with a limp

I hope everthing goes to plan and keep working hard and you will reap the benefits in the coming months

Howard

• Posted

Thanks Howard, saw the bio kinetic today, hes happy how my thigh and glutes are strengthening, so for my good work he gave me more excercises and longer on the stationary bike , lol. seriously I'm happy to put in the work and get strong again. onwards and upwards.

Take care

Gaynor

• Posted

Thank you. I am far from being a tennis player. This is day 18 out from surg. Most of my trouble is coming from opiates. I am so weak from bowel distress, cramping, bleeding hemmeroids. I am beside myself. I am so preoccupied with stomach cramps and fatigue, sleeplessness.

• Posted

Thank you. I am far from being a tennis player. This is day 18 out from surg. Most of my trouble is coming from opiates. I am so weak from bowel distress, cramping, bleeding hemmeroids. I am beside myself. I am so preoccupied with stomach cramps and fatigue, sleeplessness.

• Posted

The painkillers were making me feel really rough it affected my taste ,headaches etc. so I decided that if I could,when I left hospital this after nearly six days ,I would stop taking them and in my case it worked..I found coping with the pain which was temporary and more pronounced after exercising ,I could do without them and felt so much better for it .I am not tough but I never have an anaesthetic when the dentist is drilling out old fillings which I have plenty of them, I just grip the chair intensely and I have never had to stop the Dentist yet. It saves a lot of time waiting for the numbing effect ,I don't end up with a crooked face and best of all I save money but not having them. You might surprise yourself by trying to avoid painkillers and find the pain is not so bad,

but you will never know until you stop!!

• Posted

Yup... Doubles good...singles bad. However, no matter what you do, the knee can neither be pounded (running, jogging) or torqued (twisted). To prevent the latter, I called Donjoy, the big brace manufacturer, and asked what they had that would absolutely prevent the knee from ever twisting during an activity.

The answer: Donjoy Defiance with the single hinge (there are many models). No way your knee will twist in this brace. Off the shelf: $300. Custom fit to your leg: $900. I'm saving my pennies. Cheap insurance. Think about it...

• Posted

Exercise for all TKA/TKR primary and revision patients is paramount. My case two-stage revision 2018. Post op 6 months physio therapy. Thereafter water walking (back & forth) and swimming in the pool. Home exercise, too. Biking, walking, jogging including mini marathons. Running hard surfaces i.e. concrete, asphalt. NO thanks. In this hot megacity only at 5 am in some municipal park. TIB (This is BKK) car & motorcycle city of Bangkok. An acquaintance Khun Eddy was crushed under a garbage truck last year. The POOL would be my recommendation! Bangkok-Johnnie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.