Back problem prior to surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am due to have a vaginal hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair on 27th July.

I am really worrying because I have two slipped discs in my back (L3/4 and L4/5) and I still have some numbness and weakness in my right leg. I have read that the position I will be in for surgery sometimes causes nerve problems afterwards and my mind has gone into overdrive thinking that I’m going to have more problems with my back. The pain when I first hurt my back was so severe, particularly in my groin and down my leg, that I don’t know how I will cope if anything happens to exacerbate the problem.    

I have told the gynaecologist about my back, and I also mentioned it to the nurse at my pre-op appointment, but I don’t really feel as if either of them took any notice. The consultant made a comment about slipped discs being really painful but said nothing else, and the nurse at the pre-op appointment said it wouldn’t matter as long as I was mobile. As far as I know neither of them wrote anything down about it. I have thought I could mention it to the anaesthetist when I go in, but I feel a bit like a moaner before I even have the operation.

I am feeling generally a bit in the dark about everything. The pre-op assessment was very rushed (I was out in 10 minutes), and I wasn’t given any information about the operation. Literally the only thing I was told was not to eat or drink after midnight and to have a shower in the morning. I asked how long I would be in hospital and was told two nights, but the nurse didn’t expand on that at all. I haven’t been given any leaflets or information about anything, even what to take into hospital (although I have worked that out). I have picked up everything I know from reading this forum (e.g. that I will have a catheter and a pack, that the consultant may use some kind of mesh). If I wasn’t so desperate to feel better I think I would cancel the operation.

Any advice or reassurance would be welcome.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Before you are taken to theatre, you should get a visit from the anesthetist, who will explain what they will do and one from either the surgeon or his assistant who will check you know what procedure you are having and if you have any questions before you sign a consent form. Explain your concerns to both of them and make sure it is noted down. You should check with the nurse when they are booking you in about who is coming and when and also raise  the matter with them- they need to know.

You are not being a moaner at all - you are only trying to ensure a good outcome,which is what they should want as well. If you do not make it clear, they can't  guess about concerns  that you have . I was nodding politely before my first procedure but before my second I was still very polite but double checked the what if's and also checked who was actually doing the operation because that was important to me in that case. 

• Posted

Hi, Florin:  I am in just about the same situation as you.  I live in the USA, but my surgery is the 19th. I am already had my hysterectomy in 2001, but I have a huge prolapse, both anterior and posterior.  I was in pre-op yesterday for about eight hours, counting my doctor appt.  He went all over my meds, and when I mentioned my back, he said..you will be really sore in the back after three hours of lying on that table...I have degenerative discs, scolosis, and spinal stenosis...I am really dreading how my back is going to feel when I get home. I can hardly stand the pain now, and I nearly scream every time I get out of my bed.  It is my lower back and two bad knees.  I pray that we both do well and are better off for having done this.  The prolapse is driving me insane...HUGS.
    • Posted

Hi Carole. I'm in the UK but have almost the same problems as you. I have a rectocele and vaginal vault prolapse plus spinal osteo arthritis, scoliosis and hip OA. I've been doing some reading up about prolapse surgery with all these problems and still can't decide whether to go ahead. I'm 73 so I'm not too keen on having any surgery really because of "possibilities" during and after. My GP and the gynae surgeon said that all the problems will deteriorate as time goes on so I have to make a decision before next appointment with gynae at the end of August. It's the thought of all the pain and lack of mobility after I'm concerned about. I'm still recovering from a salpingo oophrectomy and cyst removal in April. Can't seem to get my energy back and going upstairs is a no go still at the moment. I live in a bungalow so thats ok at home but can't visit my kids as they all have upstairs bathrooms! Not much fun getting older! rolleyes I've always been very active and quite fit until lately. Pollyanna confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.