Back support

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone used or can recommend a support belt/brace. I've had 8 fractures on my spine and although these have healed T10 is giving me some pain under my ribs. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and used a belt for support.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Molly

You have been so unfortunate with your spine.  Have you asked for advice from either your   Physiotherapist  or Doctor concerning a back support?  Do they think it’s a good idea?

Apart from loosing several inches in height and a coccyx injury, I’ve had no personal experience of multiple spinal fractures, thank God.   I know it’s quite different, but when I had the plasters removed from both wrists I asked the orthopaedic doctor about wrist supports,  as both arms/wrists felt so weak  and was told I mustn’t use any supports as it would delay getting the muscles working to full capacity.     Whether this would apply to healed spinal fractures,  I really don’t know.  I assume you will have Physio to strengthen your support muscles?

i wish you luck and hopefully the pain issue will soon resolve.

• Posted

I feel so sorry for you. I have had 2 spinal fractures, at different times and it took a lot hard work and determination to get back to normal. Lynne makes a good point. If too much support is given it will stop the muscles from strengthing and this needs to be done to improve your quality of life in the future. However, some sort of support used intermittently would help, with strengthing exercises in between. Get expert advice as it Is crucial you don’t do more harm than good. Good luck
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies. I'm seeing a spinal physiotherapist next week  and have a follow up appointment with the consultant at the end of the month.

The reason for the breaks is I have osteoporosis. It seemed like once one had fractured it was like a domino affect. I've lost 3 inches in height and was feeling very low when I first posted.

I had visions of this humped back little woman. I've always been very active and this came as a big blow as I will now have to rethink my exercises.

Once again thanks for the replies.

• Posted

Thats a good place to start. Stay positive and keep your determination to get better. I have always exercised too but it didn’t prevent me from getting OP but I do think we have a better chance of recovery if we have always incorperated exercise into our lives. I no longer do long runs but I do short ones and long walks. I wish you well
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis about 18 months ago. I have three fractured vertebrae,T9,10,11.

My doctor doesn't know much about dealing with this.

I was interested in reading about the pain under your rib,Mollysuki.I have been suffering with pain there too.

I am feeling a bit better than I was at first and think that maybe the fractures have fused together a little,which makes for less pain. I have lost one and a half inches in height(I was only 5ft 2in to start with).

My doctor has tried repeatedly to get me to take Alendronic acid.I have steadfastly refused.

I recently mentioned about this to a surgeon and he told me I was right not to take "the dreadful stuff,Alendronic acid." I take vit D3 and K2 daily and have a calcium supplement.

When I go for my next Dexa scan,I am hoping that my results will not be much worse than the original result.

The lady who did my Dexa scan,told me that chemo is responsible for my condition.I had breast cancer six years ago. I am 73 years old and besides arthritis,I am in fairly good health.

I did ask my doctor if a back support might help me,she said only codeine could help me.

I don't often take that, as I'm afraid of getting addicted to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.